DescriptionOur hero must reach Melkhior, a somewhat eccentric wizard who is the only one who can save him. As with most Ultimate titles of the day, reaching him is a long and treacherous challenge, involving both puzzle-solving and action, meaning that each screen requires thorough planning and precise navigation.
The game uses the isometric viewpoint in a manner similar to the later Head Over Heels, using monochrome but detailed graphics and techniques to avoid flickering sprites. The game lasts for 40 days and nights - at night your character turns into a werewolf. Ultimate's individual style of eschewing straightforward instructions in favor of feature lists and riddles is put to good use here, with the story detailed in a rhyming poem of sorts.
- "ナイト・ロアー ―魔城の狼男―" -- Japanese spelling
Part of the Following Groups
There are no reviews for this game.
|Popular Computing Weekly||Jun 06, 1985||100|
|Amstrad Action||Oct, 1985||96 out of 100||96|
|Amtix!||Nov, 1985||91 out of 100||91|
|Amstrad Action||Jul, 1986||86 out of 100||86|
|Computer Gamer||Jul, 1985||17 out of 20||85|
|Computer and Video Games (CVG)||Jul, 1985||31 out of 40||78|
There are currently no topics for this game.
1001 Video GamesKnight Lore appears in the book 1001 Video Games You Must Play Before You Die by General Editor Tony Mott.
ReleaseKnight Lore was released about one year after it was finished. Ultimate felt the new isometric graphics would hurt the sales of the 2D game Sabre Wulf, so they held it back.
- ACE (Advanced Computer Entertainment)
- February 1991 (issue #41) - Included in the list Greatest Games of all Time, section Arcade Adventures (editorial staff choice)
- Retro Gamer
- October 2004 (Issue #9) – #22 Best Game Of All Time (Readers' Vote)
Related Web Sites
- CPC-Power (in French) (for Amstrad CPC: dowloadable releases; artwork; additional material)
- Internet Archive, a non-profit digital library (for ZX Spectrum: downloadable release; additional material; online emulation of game)
- Knight Lore Remake (for MSX: freeware downloadable remake by Retroworks)
- Knight Lore remake at Retrospec (for PC: freeware downloadable remake by Peter Hanratty)
- The BBC Games Archive (for BBC Micro: downloadable release; additional material)
- Wikipedia, a free online Encyclopedia (combined platform view entry)
- World of Spectrum (for ZX Spectrum: additional material; player reviews; magazine references; magazine adverts)
There are no game credits on file for this release of the game. Everything in MobyGames is contributable by users.