1001 Video GamesDead Space appears in the book 1001 Video Games You Must Play Before You Die by General Editor Tony Mott.
Air filtration room bugUnfortunately, each platform the game was released (PS3, XBox 360, Windows) on, features the same, occasionally reproduced critical bug. In the 6th Chapter, where you are trying to pass the furnaces in the Air Filtration room, the control panels near the locked doors, which you should shoot out, are absent, and there is absolutely no way to proceed in the game. The exact steps to reproduce this bug are still unknown. No fixes exist at the moment of this trivia contribution, but a solution to avoid this bad situation does exist.
Just save your game in the very beginning of each chapter while you are in the tram, and keep it until you finish the chapter. If the bug occurs, just reload your save game and walk through the chapter from the very beginning once more. Just go to the problematic place as fast as possible and examine whether it is the same or not. Do it until the control panels appear, and you'll be able to get along.
Chapters (Spoiler!)When put together, the first letter of each chapter's name spells out NICOLE IS DEAD.
DevelopmentAt first the game was developed for the original Xbox.
InspirationProducers admittedly reported to having drawn inspiration from cult-movies like The Thing, Alien and Event Horizon, as well as from successful videogames like Resident Evil and Silent Hill.
PrequelSome of the characters that appear or are mentioned in the game also appear in the animated prequel Downfall, which depicts the outbreak of the Necromorphs on the Ishimura.
- Isaac Clarke, the main character of the game, is named after science fiction writers Isaac Asimov and Arthur C. Clarke.
- Unitology, the fictional religion that plays a large part in the series' storyline, appears to be vaguely inspired by the Church of Scientology.
- GAME British Academy Video Games Awards
- 2009 - Original Score Award
- February 209 (Issue #245) - Xbox 360 Game of the Year 2008
- GamePro (Germany)
- February 26, 2009 - Best Console Action-Adventure in 2008 (Readers' Vote)
- 2008 – #8 Xbox 360 Game of the Year
- 2008 – #9 PS3 Game of the Year
- 2008 – Best Audio of the Year