DescriptionIn the land of Boletaria, the Old King Allant wakened the Old One, a terrible demon that was sealed away below the Nexus eons ago. Now a colourless fog is unleashing the demons and terrorizing mankind. Only one lone hero can save Boletaria from its doom.
Demon's Souls is an action role-playing game where the player can choose from a wide variety of starting classes, including hunters, knights, soldiers, priests and magicians. The objective is to proceed through five worlds and defeat the demon bosses at the end of each level. Killing enemies will give the player souls, the game's currency. These can be traded in for weapons, spells, miracles, items and equipment or to upgrade the player's stats at the Nexus, the world's central hub.
During combat, the player has to watch the protagonist's stamina bar, which decreases with physical movements like attacking, evading or blocking. Death does not end the game: once the hero dies he respawns in soul form. This means that his health is reduced, but he can do more damage against foes. Every time the protagonist dies he loses all the collected souls. However, these can be regained by touching the spot where the character lost his life.
The game features an online portion, where it is possible to observe other players playing the game in "alternate universes", running around the level as white phantoms. Places where players died are marked and can be viewed as a replay, to warn the player of imminent danger. It is also possible to leave messages about dangers like strong enemies or traps on the ground, which can be read by other players. With the use of special items, it is also possible to play cooperatively with other players or invade their worlds to kill them.
Part of the Following Groups
|Let strength be granted so the world might be mended.||Adzuken (806)|
|HonestGamers||Oct 05, 2009||10 out of 10||100|
|RPGamer||Oct, 2009||5 out of 5||100|
|IGN||Oct 08, 2009||9.4 out of 10||94|
|Gaming Age||Sep 28, 2009||A-||91|
|Eurogamer.net (UK)||Apr 23, 2009||9 out of 10||90|
|Jeuxvideo.com||Jun 25, 2010||18 out of 20||90|
|GameSpot||Oct 06, 2009||9 out of 10||90|
|Thunderbolt Games||Oct 06, 2009||9 out of 10||90|
|The Review Busters||2009||8.5 out of 10||85|
|The A.V. Club||Oct 19, 2009||B||75|
|Topic||# Posts||Last Post|
|Why so difficult?||9||Adzuken (806)
Feb 20, 2011
1001 Video GamesDemon's Souls appears in the book 1001 Video Games You Must Play Before You Die by General Editor Tony Mott.
- 2009 – Best Import Game of the Year
- 2009 – #8 Best Game of the Year (Readers' Vote)
- 2010 – #3 Best Game of the Year
- 2010 – #2 Best PS3 Game of the Year
- 2010 – Best Role-Playing Game of the Year
- 2009 - Best Gameplay Innovation (for its multiplayer component)
- 2009 - Biggest Surprise
- 2009 - Game of the Year
- 2009 - Best PS3 Game
- 2009 - Best Role-Playing Game
- 2009 - Best Original Game Mechanic
- 2009 - Best Boss Fights (Readers' Choice)
- 2009 - Tough Love Award
- 2009 - Best Role-Playing Game
- 2009 - Best New IP (Intellectual Property)
- 2009 - Best PS3 Role-Playing Game
- 2009 - Best PS3 Role-Playing Game (Readers' Choice)
Related Web Sites
- Demon's Souls Wiki (A fan-driven wiki devoted to the game. Includes information such as localization differences, walkthroughs, character builds, items and weapons and more.)
- PS3trophies.org trophy guide (PS3trophies.org's trophy guide for Demon's Souls)