DescriptionTwo thousand years ago, the wise mages of the Council of Seven sacrificed themselves to save the land of Rivellon. A Divine Order was established in their memory, sworn to protect the land from forces of evil. Now, growing unrest, corruption, and greed indicate that evil is near. The protagonist wakes up in a house in Aleroth, the town of healers, without any recollection of what happened beforehand. It appears that the leader of the healers has gone mad. The hero is asked to find a way to cure his predicament, which leads to a confrontation with higher powers, and eventually to a grand quest to unite the heirs of the Council and face the ultimate evil in battle.
Divine Divinity is a 2D action role-playing game with an oblique (rather than isometric) perspective, set in a fantasy universe. The game borrows certain elements from Diablo series, most notably point-and-click action-oriented combat and item randomization. However, the game's locations are not randomized, and it contains many features of traditional role-playing games such as interaction with NPCs and multiple dialogue choices.
The entire game world consists of over twenty thousand screens, each one being a seamless transition into the next with weather effects as well as day and night cycles. The main quest progression is linear; however, there are plenty of sub-quests available, many with multiple solutions, and the main character is pretty much free to travel to most parts of the map right at the beginning. Also notable is the ability to loot almost anything, not just equipment or healing items, but also chairs, candle sticks, and pretty much anything that isn't nailed down (except tables).
In the beginning of the game the player selects between three character classes for the protagonist, each coming in two variants (male or female): Warrior, Survivor, or Wizard. Each of these classes has four categories of unique skills. For example, the Wizard can specialize in elemental disciplines or choose the path of summoning various creatures, while Survivor skills include, among others, pickpocketing and alchemy. Each class can learn the skills of other classes, and the differences between them are mainly the starting skills and stat bonuses as they level up.
The game features a random item generator similar to, albeit less extensive than, Diablo. Items at certain locations have fixed names, but the most attributes (like damage, armor rating, poison or stun effect, stat bonus, or gem slot) are randomized. The player can also improve their weapons by gems dropped from enemies, or bought from shops; the dedicated player may even embark themselves on the quest to find the legendary weapons.
- "神界" -- Chinese spelling (simplified)
- "Divinity: Sword of Lies" -- Working title
- "Divine Divinity. Рождение легенды" -- Russian spelling
Part of the Following Group
|Culmination of 2D RPGs||YID YANG (164669)|
|Diablo II done right!||Cavalary (5036)|
|An unexpected treasure||Mattias Kreku (424)|
|Fun and addictive, if not terribly original.||ShadowShrike (311)|
The Press Says
|RPGFan||Nov 23, 2002||96 out of 100||96|
|Deaf Gamers||2002||9.2 out of 10||92|
|FileFactory Games / Gameworld Network||Nov 06, 2002||91 out of 100||91|
|PIB (Programmer In Black)||Apr 03, 2006||4.5 out of 5||90|
|GameSpot (Belgium/Netherlands)||Sep 30, 2002||87 out of 100||87|
|Entertainment Depot, The||Nov 06, 2002||8.5 out of 10||85|
|Level||Nov, 2002||83 out of 100||83|
|Worth Playing||Jan 25, 2004||8.3 out of 10||83|
|ActionTrip||Sep 28, 2002||81 out of 100||81|
|GameStar (Germany)||Aug, 2002||73 out of 100||73|
|Topic||# Posts||Last Post|
|From the Dev Diary||2||CalaisianMindthief (3061)
Dec 03, 2012
ManuscriptsOne of the in-game manuscripts depicts a dragon and a url encoded in some runic alphabet. Upon decoding, you get the address www.valaraukar.de, which links to graphics designer Marian Arnold's personal website.
PolymorphThe 'Polymorph' spell is designed to transform an opponent into a harmless creature, such as a frog or a rabbit. After the transformation, you can easily kill the opponent. But try this: Polymorph a member of the Black Ring at your first encounter. For example, he/she is now a frog. Beat the frog and he/she will, as usual, escape. When Janus later summons his allies in a scripted scene, the polymorphed member will not appear in its normal form, but still as the frog, even when weeks have passed between those two encounters.
- On Janus's castle's roof, there's a skateboard, a ramp and fitting graffiti on the walls. You will need to use Elven sight to see it, though.
- On the second level under the Warrior's Guild in the Dark Forest, there's an open slate in the west wing. The cursor doesn't change, buy you can go down. In the small room below, you will find the Kaa Gent scroll. It's useless, but the name refers to AA Gent, a Belgian soccer team not far from the studios.
- In the Treasure Cave, there's a tombstone which reads: "The heart of all at Larian Studios go out to those who died or were bereft in such tragic circumstances in New York, Washington D.C. and Pennsylvania, on September 11th, 2001.
- Many early forum regulars found their nicknames included in the game.
- In Imp World, behind a flower patch, there's a note which reads: "Bronthion was here".
- The game contains a short sword called "Sting". It glows near orcs and dragons, an obvious reference to Lord of the Rings.
- The game has a magic carpet. To make it fly, you have to read the tag. It reads "Axeminster", the name of a carpet manufacturer in the United Kingdom.
- In the Farmlands, there a scroll with a poem tribute to Stephen King's IT: "Your hair is winter fire, Aventuris embers, My heart dwells there too. - Written by IT."
Related Web Sites
- Divine Divinity -- CDV's Official Website for the game
- Divine Divinity -- Official Website
- Divine Divinity @ Gamebanshee -- News, walkthrough and various guides.
- divinedivinity.net -- Fan Site with maps and the rune alphabet
- Divine Divinity Patches -- Locus Inn site describes what the various patches contain and offers them for download.
- Kirill Pokrovsky's Site -- Music composer's site, offering the game's soundtrack as a free download.
- Kiya's Divine Divinity -- The entire game and all its quests told through lots of screenshots.
- Quest Guide on Locus Inn -- Available for download here are 2 files. One covers all the quests with the exception of the unique items quest, which are included in the second document.
Project Leader, Lead Programmer: