New MobyGoal! We're aiming for 1,500 well documented Arcade games.

The 11th Hour (DOS)

3.5
Written by  :  Tomer Gabel (4388)
Written on  :  Dec 14, 1999
Rating  :  3.67 Stars3.67 Stars3.67 Stars3.67 Stars3.67 Stars

read more reviews by Tomer Gabel

Summary

The first was a whole lot better.

The Good

Well, I have to admit this game is technically amzing. The video compression engine is unbelievably smooth - I managed to play this game on a 486 with quad speed CD-ROM at 640x480, 16 bit in full framerate - it appears Graeme Devine really took his time in writing a new engine from scratch. The video playback is truly phenomenal.

The puzzles are great and as difficult as they were in the first, with the nice addition of a bizarre PDA thingie and another type of puzzles (where you have to find an object by using a clue) and the graphics were revamped to 16 bit - a definite improvement.

The one truly great thing about this game is the music - as fluent and atmospheric at it was in The 7th Guest, simply magnificent.

The Bad

Well, the storyline is much less interesting, the acting is quite horrible (better than the first though...) and the game is simply not as polished as the first. The sequel to one of the best games ever wasn't done with nearly as much teamwork and it shows - the game somehow leaves a sour taste in your mouth. There's also a great deal of pointless profanity and sexuality in the game which adds nothing to it.

All in all, it's inferior to the first and not much fun to play... but maybe it's just me.

The Bottom Line

A technically amazing game which lacks the amazing WF (wow factor) of the first.