Forums > Game Forums > The 7th Guest > HELP!!!

Lindsey Johnson on 6/29/2007 7:35 AM · Permalink · Report

I recently bought a copy of both 7th Guest and 11th hour, thinking i could re live my youth! Im kinda stuck cause i cant get it to run on my new lap top... its gets so far upon loading it to the lap top (which is fully loaded with windowns xp - which is where i think i have my problem) then it gets stuck and i have to re-start the pc.. has anyone had any similar problems and if so PLease help. FYI: Im a bit of a novice when it comes to pc's so please be patient :)

Sciere (930479) on 6/29/2007 7:41 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

There is a guide in the related links section that explains how to tune the game for XP's curious behaviour - have you tried it?

Lindsey Johnson on 6/29/2007 5:24 PM · Permalink · Report

No, as said im a bit of a novice so kinda typed in google looking for gaming sites... i'll have a wee look..... THANKS!!

Lindsey Johnson on 6/30/2007 9:46 AM · Permalink · Report

I dont suppose you know who wrote the run through guide.. i still cant get my game to work, where it states most people have problems im not, and im having problems on not so easy bits..... think it could be the fact my video settings and sound settings are going hay wire! the run through guide is really good but it doesnt have any names so i can mail them direct :( ANY help would be mucho appriciated!!! :o)

Sciere (930479) on 6/30/2007 10:04 AM · Permalink · Report

His e-mail address is at the bottom of the page

Lindsey Johnson on 7/1/2007 3:35 PM · Permalink · Report

Cheers, spotted it after i sent the thread! don't suppose you know of anywhere else might be able to help me with my probs?

Pseudo_Intellectual (66360) on 7/1/2007 6:28 PM · Permalink · Report

we seem to be actually the most active, most helpful gaming forum on the internet... which reflects sadly on the state of the others 8)

Lindsey Johnson on 7/2/2007 7:11 PM · Permalink · Report

Im still not any further forward with installling my game so please keep the ideas coming if anyone knows how to help me install this game or atleast adjust settings on my pc so i can dim it down a wee bit to make my game work I really wanted to play this game and so far rather than reliving my youth.. im actually getting older with the stress of it!!! PLEASE HELP!!!

Foxhack (32100) on 7/4/2007 8:15 PM · Permalink · Report

Did you try the XP executable I mentioned in the trivia? I dunno if it's still up, but I should have a copy somewhere.

j r on 7/26/2007 6:19 AM · Permalink · Report

Ok here is your answer... win xp HOME edition sux for older games and to force it to work take way more effort than it is worth (example. making sure you have legacy drivers for ur video card to handle what the game is trying to do... new cards don't have such drivers. + many more things that go into the equation) Want the Super Duper Easy approach??? Ask around and acquire someones old computer, tell them you will recycle it so it doesn't just end up in a land fill. Get the old system and parts it.. Yank the hard drive and slide it into any of the $10-15 external hard drive enclosures you can get from oh say new egg or tiger direct. Format this drive as FAT32 Not NTFS !!! Tell the bios to boot from usb first.. cd second and ide hard drive third. Load up win98se and you will have a platform that will play myst, T7G, 11thHr and my favorite of all American McGee's Alice in Wonderland. If you'd rather spend the cash instead go buy a 1gig thumb drive and stuff win98se on it instead. The possible issue will be your laptops handeling of the usb drive once windows is loaded up. Simple to use.. if you want to classic game plug in the usb thumbdrive or external hard drive b4 u power up... and wala win98se. want to use win xp bs home addition, unplug the drive and power up. Couldn't be any easier to switch!

Got a home pc and a spare hard drive.. go internal and dual boot! Hope this helps if i've confused u.. find me on any messenger... slamedsilver

DJP Mom (11333) on 7/26/2007 12:13 PM · Permalink · Report

I think you need to re-read the last line of the original post again :-)

"FYI: Im a bit of a novice when it comes to pc's so please be patient :)"

Jeremy Hoffman on 9/17/2007 1:28 AM · Permalink · Report

Need some help with actually running the game, I got my copy of The 7th Guest and it had no instructions on how to launch the game. Any help would be nice considering I have waited a long time to actually play the game.

Foxhack (32100) on 9/19/2007 6:43 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Jeremy Hoffman wrote--]Need some help with actually running the game, I got my copy of The 7th Guest and it had no instructions on how to launch the game. Any help would be nice considering I have waited a long time to actually play the game. [/Q --end Jeremy Hoffman wrote--]

Insert disc 1 in the drive, run the setup from there. Then download the patch from this site:

http://www.computerhope.com/download/games.htm#10

and follow the instructions posted here, at the bottom of the page. That should help. :)