The 7th Guest (DOS)

Written by  :  Joakim Kihlman (270)
Written on  :  Jul 12, 2006

read more reviews by Joakim Kihlman

Summary

Are you serious?

The Good

At the time, this game was known for having great graphics and sound. I guess that should count for something. Oh, and at times it's also extremely challenging.

The Bad

Well, basically this game represents almost everything that was bad with the early cd-rom era. A lot of flash but no fun. The intro movie had real actors, but man was it boring. The game itself had a story, also played out by actors, but the story is far from compelling, and the actors suck. Furthermore the quality of the videos isn't very good. But worst of all, this isn't fun to play. Just walk around in a pre-rendered (but ugly) house and solve tedious puzzles. When you solve a puzzle you are rewarded with one of those terrible video sequences and off you go to the next boring puzzle. This is just as bad as Myst, and at the time, almost as popular. I'm the first to admit it, I just don't get it. This is supposed to be a horror game. The only horrific thing about it is the boredom it generates. And, of course, the awful and extremely ugly design. Those mid 90's cd-rom graphics, how I do hate them.

The Bottom Line

A very not at all scary horror game. And not fun to play either. Very popular, and a classic, though, for some strange reason. It's a strange world.