A Nightmare on Elm Street (DOS)

3.5
Written by  :  Czar Husk Qi (39)
Written on  :  Jul 25, 2007

read more reviews by Czar Husk Qi

Summary

The Diablo of my childhood.

The Good

I was a fan of Freddy Krueger and this little game is inspired on the film "A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors". It has to be on the greatest games ever made and it's actually the best gaming experience I've had.

To those who have played this game, the comparison between it and more recent action adventure RPG style and top down view classics like Diablo are inevitable. You have a list of characters to choose each one with a particular dream power. You use different kind weapons and equipment for a variety of foes and tasks. You also have to interact with some characters in order to upgrade your skills and obtain tips. In the house you'll find several coins that you use as money to buy supplies. Your mission consist in rescuing your dream friends and, of course, killing Freddy Krueger...

Freddy's house is full of surprises. The level maps are cleverly designed. There are several traps, minions, bosses, characters, items, weapons, intriguing passages with lots of secrets... and the never-ending menace of Freddy Krueger. The levels are not just a figthing arena, you have to play with levers, portals and switches and to solve littles puzzles in order to open rooms and advance. I'm still impressed at how rich this game is, so full of myteries and hidden rooms (I haven't entered all the secret rooms, to this day I'm still intrigued about them). There is a serious amount of creativity invested here. Who needs lots of RAM or MHZ when you have imagination?

The Bad

Dunno. I think it's pretty good. Maybe it would seem too hard or cheap to some people nowadays.

The Bottom Line

An underrated old action adventure (and sort of RPG) top down style game.