DescriptionIn this action/simulation game by Microprose the player takes the role of an U.S. Army airborne ranger. These Airborne rangers are dropped behind enemy lines by parachute to perform all kinds of dangerous missions. Gameplay consists of 3 phases:
- Reading the mission briefing and outfitting 3 supply pods with machine gun ammo, time bombs, first-aid kits, grenades & LAW rockets depending on this briefing.
- Flying over the mission map in a V-22 Osprey plane to drop your 3 supply pods and parachuting out of the plane yourself.
- Performing the actual missions and reaching the pick-up point before time runs out. There are 12 different missions which include capturing an enemy officer, blowing up an ammunition depot, photographing an experimental aircraft and liberating P.O.W.'s
Airborne Ranger can be played in practice or veteran mode. In practice mode, gameplay is limited to a single mission, while in veteran mode, a series of missions or an entire campaign is played in order to earn medals & promotions. All missions can be played on several difficulty levels.
- "Airborne Ranger: The Action-Simulation" -- UK tag-lined title
Part of the Following Group
|Computer Gaming World (CGW)||Jun, 1991||90|
|The Games Machine (UK)||Jan, 1989||78 out of 100||78|
|ACE (Advanced Computer Entertainment)||Mar, 1989||748 out of 1000||75|
There are currently no topics for this game.
ManualThe manual includes a large overview of the history of the rangers (from the American War of Independence until Vietnam) and detailed information about ranger training, weapons and equipment.
- Commodore Force
- December 1993 (Issue 13) – #97 “Readers' Top 100”