New MobyGoal! We're aiming for 1,500 well documented Arcade games.

Alone in the Dark 2 (DOS)

Written by  :  Simon Kavanagh (6)
Written on  :  Apr 09, 2007

read more reviews by Simon Kavanagh

Summary

Makes the mistake of focusing on the fighting.

The Good

It had improved 3D graphics, and had excellent animated cutscenes which looked great. This game also is far far bigger then the original, and you switch characters halfway through with the little girl then back to Carnby again a la Leisure Suit Larry 3. The fight with the tough baddie on the ship at the end was interesting too.

The Bad

You'd think Carnby + Machine Gun would be good, but aiming and shooting are just as awkward as the original. And if you mess it up, expect no mercy from your enemies, and that's another problem there are literally ZILLIONS of enemies in this game, if you think there are lots in the hedge maze, wait until you get into the house itself and you'll see what I mean (flying pitchfork WTF!!!!, dressing up as Santa OMFG!!!!). And if the endless fighting doesn't drive you nuts, the super obscure puzzles will, the Billiard Ball Puzzle, which opens the door, had me stumped...until I got the walkthrough.

The Bottom Line

If you liked the original, you'll probably like this. Just don't expect too much. You will probably die many a frustrating death in the hedge maze, then the house just keep practicing your shooting and HOPE you don't die.....