The Amazing Spider-Man (DOS)

Written by  :  brian cronrath (3)
Written on  :  Sep 02, 2010

read more reviews by brian cronrath

Summary

Not what you'd expect, but enjoyable puzzle/platformer

The Good

This game was a little ahead of its time, to be honest. It was much less focused on action and beat-em-up, and far more focused on solving puzzles and avoiding un-necessary conflict. I can see why most kids did not like the game, however in today's gaming society it would've faired much better.

The game is actually designed quite well, with puzzles that are not only challenging but fun (for the most part) and very unique. This game is truly a DOS generation gem and I'd recommend it to anyone.

The Bad

Well when you play a spiderman game you'd probably expect to be able to kick and punch people, and directly kill enemies. I remember as a kid not being able to do this in a spiderman game was very frustrating to me at first, but I grew to enjoy the game for what it was (not a side scroller beat em up). So it's not what you'd expect, especially considering other games around that time such as double dragon and other superhero games.

The fact that you turn into a skelton freaked me out as a kid too as you die.

The Bottom Line

You're only tools available are jumping, and shooting a line of web in 8 directions. You can crouch as well, and cling to ceilings and walls.

You do not directly kill any enemies, webbing them results in a temporary stun, and touching an enemy will gradually do damage over time to you.

You have to use your brain to find clever ways to either avoid enemies, or kill them (aka hitting a lever to drop a rock on them, or to make them drop into a pit, etc.) There's also plenty of interesting physics in the game. There's rooms where gravity is shifted in certain areas, rooms where theirs sliding ground, a spaceship with a ton of crazy stuff... just an awesome game with tons of variety. Visuals are awesome too. Every level is supposed to represent a "cut" as if a director were stringing together scenes from different movies.