Beneath a Steel Sky (DOS)

Written by  :  Indra is here (19671)
Written on  :  Jan 19, 2004
Rating  :  4.75 Stars4.75 Stars4.75 Stars4.75 Stars4.75 Stars

read more reviews by Indra is here

Summary

Guybrush Threepwood would LOVE this game!

The Good

It's games like this that remind you that a good adventure game should have a good sense of humor, and boy did this game a lot of that. Robert Foster, the hero of this game must be related to Guybrush Threepwood of Monkey Island.

GAMEPLAY Now I know where Max Payne got it's inspiration in creating a "comic-like" introduction.

The game is quite easy, not big time hard puzzles which I totally loathe...thankfully the game is all about adventuring and less puzzle solving. It may be a turn off for hardcore puzzle solvers, but for people like me, I enjoy the simple cruise.

ACTING Now this is one adventure game no one will soon forget. This game has got to be one of the best actors you can find! The whole bloody place is fulled with half-wit Brits (excluding a French and an Australian), but boy do they give a Superb act! Their dialects are soothing and funny, the script "almost" rivals that of Monkey Island...you gotta love those British accents...

MUSIC This game has one of the best Jazz melodies you can find. Dang shame you can't play the music separately like in other games (if someone knows where to get the music of this game...let me know will ya...thanks!). I even saved in areas where the music is good, just so I can listen to alone...come to think of it, it's just the perfect kind of music to have with a girl and candle light dinner...

The Bad

Sometimes if you click to fast during a dialog, the you didn't read much less hear the dialog. This means you have wait for the dialog to end. But sometimes your finger gets a little trigger happy...and accidental clicking occurs.

But the biggest dissapointment to me was the ending. It so much expected a lengthy cutscene...more on the aftermaths. But you don't get any...barely a few minutes and bye-bye. Thankfully, the ending music is sooo goood, so that kinda soothed my mood...a bit.

The Bottom Line

Well it's a great adventure game, I'll give you that. And that's all that matters.

Dang the music's good!