Moby Poll: How many game soundtracks do you own?

The Black Cauldron (DOS)

3.4
Written by  :  OlSkool_Gamer (99)
Written on  :  Jan 04, 2004
Rating  :  4.25 Stars4.25 Stars4.25 Stars4.25 Stars4.25 Stars

read more reviews by OlSkool_Gamer

Summary

Awesome recreation of the movie! Wonderful product from the folks at Sierra!

The Good

I loved this game, it was the first sierra game the was ever purchased for me and actually the first Sierra game I ever owned. I was around 9 or 10 years old and I got it at Radio Shack for 49.99 as a gift when it first came out and I instantly fell in love with it. The atmosphere the game produced is that of a dark one in my opinion. You start out near your little cottage in the wilderness and the wilderness just seemed to have a dark and sinister kind of feel to it. Especially the farther you wander west in the woods! If I remember correctly, since it was designed for kids to play, it didn't have the typing interface as the other Adventure games had. You used the F keys to execute different actions. It was rather nice being a 10 year old not having to type commands over and over. The game was as entertaining as any of the other Sierra series. For 1986, the graphics were very impressive... the sound was industry standard for the time. just blips and beeps. An enjoyable Disney/Sierra Adventure game that should not be overlooked.

The Bad

Some of the "arcade" style sequences in the game were a bit tricky (e.g. climbing the rock faced wall.) Made you resort to the save n' load tactic to pass the sequence. Other than that, its an amazing piece of software from Sierra.

The Bottom Line

A classic. Definitely worth a play for classic adventure fans. Has a great atmosphere and environment that will keep this title in the minds of many for decades to come! Absolutely worth a try!