Chuck Yeager's Air Combat (DOS)

Written by  :  Quackbal (47)
Written on  :  Sep 04, 2006

read more reviews by Quackbal

Summary

My definition of "early air combat game".

The Good

I'm a huge fan of air combat games and flight simulators - as I am training to be a pilot (hobby, not career) and I can safely say that this is a brilliant game. The main aspect of its brilliance is the sheer customizability included. You can make your own missions with a large amount of different parameters, aircraft, etc. Also the historical missions are very good and definitely make a great attempt to capture Chuck Yeager's experiences with help from the man himself; which brings me onto the fact that the game has accurate physics, due to Yeager's input on the subject.

The Bad

What I didn't like were the graphics - OK, this is a 1991 game, but still not a huge fan of the blocky textureless planes we have and I also find the sound to be quite depressing - Either internal PC speaker drones which are arguably BETTER than the sound blaster racket that you could get. Also would like there to be more planes - half of the aircraft you see in Chuck Yeager's Air Combat are not playable!

The Bottom Line

Good game for its time and this is my definition of "early air combat game" - It paved the ground for all the upcoming games based on this genre, and is still a great game to experience now, 15 years later! Get it!