DescriptionThe Civil War... could they have thought of a more original name? :) This game, programmed by an Englishman, covers the American Civil War from the years 1861 to 1865. You can play as the North or South, and the object is to take over a certain amount of cities of the opposing side before the war ends. It features both strategic and tactical parts in a turn-based format.
This game has about 45 difficulty levels (9 different "strategy factors" like supply, unit types, fatigue, etc. x 5 realism levels each). However, even with all 9 set to the highest difficulty, the game can be won in a few hours.
- "Amerika 1861-1865" -- German title
Part of the Following Group
|This poor game tries to do too many things, and doesn't do a good job at many of them.||Raphael (1160)|
The Press Says
|Joystick (French)||Jun, 1995||90 out of 100||90|
|PC Games (Germany)||Jun, 1995||82 out of 100||82|
|PC Player (Germany)||Jun, 1995||67 out of 100||67|
|Power Play||Jun, 1995||58 out of 100||58|
|Computer Gaming World (CGW)||Sep, 1995||20|
There are currently no topics for this game.
Expanded re-releaseThe game was re-released a year later in USA as the Master Player's Edition with new graphics from Strategy First and a rewritten AI.
- Computer Gaming World
- November 1996 (15th anniversary issue) – #10 Worst Game of All Time
Related Web Sites
- CivilWar on sourceforge -- Open Sourced version of Civil War and links to patches of published version.
- Civil War Updates -- You can get the latest patch for The Civil War here, but I think one of the files is corrupted. Never fear, there are uncorrupted versions out there...
- Greenius Civil War page. -- Steven Green's web site, contains upgrade to version 2.0.3