DescriptionThe Civil War covers the American Civil War from the years 1861 to 1865. You can play as the North or South, and the object is to take over a certain amount of cities of the opposing side before the war ends. It features both strategic and tactical parts in a turn-based format.
This game has about 45 difficulty levels (9 different "strategy factors" like supply, unit types, fatigue, etc. x 5 realism levels each). However, even with all 9 set to the highest difficulty, the game can be won in a few hours.
- "Amerika 1861-1865" -- German title
Part of the Following Group
|This poor game tries to do too many things, and doesn't do a good job at many of them.||Raphael (1159)|
|Joystick (French)||Jun, 1995||90 out of 100||90|
|PC Games (Germany)||Jun, 1995||82 out of 100||82|
|Play Time||Jun, 1995||80 out of 100||80|
|PC Player (Germany)||Jun, 1995||67 out of 100||67|
|Gameplay (Benelux)||Oct, 1995||62 out of 100||62|
|Power Play||Jun, 1995||58 out of 100||58|
|PC Joker||Aug, 1995||44 out of 100||44|
|Computer Gaming World (CGW)||Sep, 1995||20|
There are currently no topics for this game.
Expanded re-releaseThe game was re-released a year later in USA as the Master Player's Edition with new graphics from Strategy First and a rewritten AI.
- Computer Gaming World
- November 1996 (15th anniversary issue) – #10 Worst Game of All Time
Related Web Sites
- CivilWar on sourceforge (Open Sourced version of Civil War and links to patches of published version.)
- Civil War Updates (You can get the latest patch for The Civil War here, but I think one of the files is corrupted. Never fear, there are uncorrupted versions out there...)
- Greenius Civil War page. (Steven Green's web site, contains upgrade to version 2.0.3)