Command H.Q. (DOS)

Pacing
Gameplay
Setting
Narrative
Written by  :  woods01 (163)
Written on  :  Feb 26, 2001
read more reviews by woods01

Summary

Before BattleNet, it was 2400 baud time!

The Good

This game lets you play as a global superpower in the simplest of ways. I like how this game touches on balancing resources while still letting you slug it out. What I also liked was how instead of an empire that was a giant block, you could have a far flung empire with strongpoints and vulnerable outposts dotted around the world in between the enemies territory much like they are in reality. Battles over oil fields are as important as a strike on the capital, you can bring your enemy to a hault by depriving them of resources. Plus the game let you have fun with toys like satellites, foreign aid and nuclear weapons.

The Bad

The A.I. is very feeble in this game. The computer manages better in the World War One game because of the challenge of plowing through entrenched infantry, World War Two as the Germans is a challenge too but as you play the more complex games it gets bogged down. For this reason unless you have a friend to play against over the modem, the game has little replay value. This is a great modem game but setting up a game like that isn't as convient as hot seating it or using the internet today. Also the sound is weak, not the worst ever but bad like most games of 10+ years ago.

The Bottom Line

If you like Empire then you will love this game. I loved Empire's simple combat system but hated the bare bones economy. This game makes the economics a bit more realistic while still keeping it simple. And like Empire, the game is more about world strategy than small battlefield tactics.