Tecmo, initially a supplier of cleaning equipment and now best known for Ninja Gaiden and Dead or Alive, was founded on this day in 1967!

Commander Keen 1: Marooned on Mars (DOS)

Commander Keen 1: Marooned on Mars DOS Main Menu

MISSING COVER

Written by  :  Plix (207)
Written on  :  Mar 26, 2000
Rating  :  4.75 Stars4.75 Stars4.75 Stars4.75 Stars4.75 Stars

read more reviews by Plix

Summary

A Definative Platformer. Definitely one of the Best of All Time

The Good

Apogee has always had a place in my heart with their games. Tom Hall, John Romero, and John Carmack have always been involved with making the best games ever made. Commander keen is no different and with Romero and Carmack's increadible coding "skillz" they produced a game that was *fun* and no eyecandy.. A major plus that seems to be lacking from most all of today's games (the most fun I've had recently has been Half-Life, and the game play of HL can't hold a candle to Commander Keen). Little Billy Blaze will have you staring at your moniter for hours playing through a broad spectrum of levels.

The light-hearted graphics and animations look like someone actually took the time to sketch out and draw what they wanted...they didn't just ley 3D Studio MAX do it for them. The other nice feature is the puzzles. Simple, straight foward, thinking puzzles, unlike many new 3D action games whos puzzles consist of finding new wepons to blow more stuff up(and even still, those puzzles are long, tedious, treks through nowhere [ie: the lame mario like jumping thing in HL]).

The Bad

There hasn't been a sequel in 5 years....

The Bottom Line

I'd rather play Commander Keen to any game I've seen newer than 1995... (except the occasonial Half-Life Lan Party..)