DescriptionCommander Keen 4: Secret of the Oracle is a platform game, the fourth in the Commander Keen series as a whole, and the first in the second series Goodbye, Galaxy.
Eight-year-old genius Billy "Commander Keen" Blaze receives an interstellar transmission while working on a Photachyon Transceiver (a radio that can receive signals anywhere in the galaxy). While the transmission is choppy, Billy manages to figure out that the galaxy is once again in danger from an alien race known as Shikadi. In order to get more information about this threat, he sets out to consult the Oracle. But it turns out that the eight Council Members necessary for the Oracle's activation have been kidnapped by the Shikadi and imprisoned in the dangerous Shadowlands. Billy heads out to save the Council Members.
The game begins with a top-down map of the Shadowlands. This is the level select screen, where Billy can walk around and the player can choose the next level they want to enter (though some of the levels are islands located on a lake and require you to find a wetsuit if you want to reach them). On each level, Billy has to make his way to the exit. Once a level is completed, Billy ends up back on the overhead map.
The levels are typically full of enemy creatures, such as poison slugs, deadly mosquitoes or hopping crazy mushrooms. There are also many hazards - pits, cannons, spears. If Billy gets shot or touched by an enemy, or falls into a pit or touches something hazardous, he dies and loses one life.
Thankfully, Keen can stun most enemies with his raygun, although some cannot be stunned at all, and some are only stunned for a few seconds. Keen also carries a pogo stick which allows him to jump very high. Other items to find include: ammo, gems that acts as keys to open locked doors, bonus items which give score, raindrops (100 raindrops give extra life) and the rare Lifewater Flask which gives an extra life.
- "Commander Keen IV: The Secret of the Oracle" -- Alternate title
- "Commander Keen IV" -- Micro Star release title
- "Commander Keen in ... "Goodbye, Galaxy!": Keen Episode Four - Secret of the Oracle" -- In-game title
Part of the Following Groups
The Press Says
|Thunderbolt Games||Oct 17, 2010||10 out of 10||100|
|Freegame.cz||May 29, 2003||92 out of 100||92|
|The DOS Spirit||Dec 14, 2009||4 out of 6||67|
There are currently no topics for this game.
DopefishDeveloper Tom Hall on the creating the infamous Dopefish (taken from the 3D Realms website):
"The Dopefish, upon reflection, is pretty much based on one of two little faces my brother, sister, and I would draw on everything. Except stuck on a fish. I guess they were sort of the emoticons of the seventies. And of course, he's inspired by the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. That's why they're the SECOND dumbest creature in the universe."
Eat Your VeggiesThe song "Eat Your Veggies" in the Well of Wishes level actually was written for Commander Keen: Keen Dreams, but was removed from that game to save disk space. Explains the name, now, doesn't it?
GraphicsThere was a special version released specifically for CGA, as the EGA/VGA version didn't support CGA.
OEM versionThe game was bundled with the Gravis PC Gamepad
ReferencesThe opening sequence (with the words floating by each other) is a parody of the opening sequence of the movie The Terminator. When you select "Return to Demo" from the options screen, the story that's shown is an obvious parody of the Star Wars scrolling text opening sequence
Information also contributed by Itay Brenner, Jimmy Sherril, Kirschsaft, Roedie and Tony Gies
Related Web Sites
- Commander Keen 4: Secret of the Oracle (official website)
- All-you-can-eat Commander Keen (Excellent fan site for the Commander Keen series.)
- Beyond the Pogo (This is the ultimate Commander Keen fansite. You'll find almost anything Keen-related here.)
- Commander Keen Fan Site (A fan site which includes game reviews, screenshots, downloads, media and more.)
- S&F Prod.'s Commander Keen Page (This is the only place where you can find sound players, add-ons, Keen2Dopefish patch, cheats, hex cheats, extras, links and things alike for Commander Keen.)
- The Official Dopefish Home Page (Everything you always wanted to know about the big green fish from Commander Keen 4.)