Forums > Game Forums > Contra > Finally beat it

Donatello (466) on 3/8/2013 8:37 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Hell yeah, I finally beat it! Now, I don't think it's much of an accomplishment, and there's plenty of other NES games that outdo this in terms of difficulty, but man, it still feels great. In any case, I can't think of any NES game that is just so perfectly solid in its gameplay mechanics as this - there's no cheap deaths involved, the main character is very responsive and there's not a single situation which one cannot fight his way through (hell, sometimes having only the pea shooter made me play better). Combine this with beautiful visuals and top-notch audio design, and what you get is Contra.

However, nothing else can do better justice to this game than J.P. Gray's review here on MobyGames. It mirrors all my feelings on Contra.

Now, on to Ghosts n Goblins.

Adzuken (836) on 3/8/2013 8:42 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Nicely done. It always feels great to put away those legendarily difficult games. I can still remember the feeling of beating Castlevania and Batman for the first time. So satisfying.

chirinea (47504) on 3/10/2013 7:30 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Adzuken wrote--]I can still remember the feeling of beating Castlevania and Batman for the first time. So satisfying. [/Q --end Adzuken wrote--]And I feel so bad that I only beat these two games using save states on an emulator. Last week I tried beating Castlevania again but I can't get past that Grim Reaper boss. But it clearly seems that all that is needed is a lot of training.

Oh, and congrats for Contra, Donatello!