Forums > Game Forums > Contra > Beautiful video for a beautiful game

Donatello (466) on 1/21/2014 4:31 PM · Permalink · Report

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsI1pV8QzOI

Also, JP Gray's review is fantastic. The only reason why I haven't written a review on it. He's got it all down to a word!

j.raido 【雷堂嬢太朗】 (93192) on 1/21/2014 8:04 PM · Permalink · Report

Timeless classic.

Still never beaten it without the code. :(

sam worthington on 1/24/2014 7:37 AM · Permalink · Report

Evergreen Game

j.raido 【雷堂嬢太朗】 (93192) on 2/2/2014 5:34 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start 雷堂嬢太朗 -raido.jotaro- wrote--]Still never beaten it without the code. :( [/Q --end 雷堂嬢太朗 -raido.jotaro- wrote--] ...and now I have! No continues, and still had 7 lives left when it put me back to the first stage. :)

That's one life's goal complete!

Parf (7873) on 2/2/2014 8:02 AM · Permalink · Report

Congratulations! Well deservde one too. That game is hard! :)

chirinea (47504) on 2/2/2014 3:17 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Congratulations! If only I could manage to do that with Batman and Castlevania!

(P.S.: and you did it just before AVGN posts a video playing it with no code too. I'll post the link here tomorrow when it goes live)

chirinea (47504) on 2/4/2014 3:54 AM · Permalink · Report

As promised.

Adzuken (836) on 2/2/2014 4:20 PM · Permalink · Report

Ugh! Now I'm jelly. I guess I know what I'm doing today.

Adzuken (836) on 2/4/2014 2:39 AM · Permalink · Report

I have freed myself from the bonds of envy and completed the game for myself. Though, I didn't clear it as cleanly as Mr. Squarewave. I lost my spreader on the 7th stage and that killed my momentum. I ended up using two continues on the last level and killed the boss with the peashooter. Still, I can scratch that one off the list.

What's next? Super C? Still haven't cleared that one yet.

j.raido 【雷堂嬢太朗】 (93192) on 2/4/2014 5:09 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Adzuken wrote--]I have freed myself from the bonds of envy and completed the game for myself. Though, I didn't clear it as cleanly as Mr. Squarewave. I lost my spreader on the 7th stage and that killed my momentum. I ended up using two continues on the last level and killed the boss with the peashooter. Still, I can scratch that one off the list.

What's next? Super C? Still haven't cleared that one yet. [/Q --end Adzuken wrote--] Nicely done, sir! I have Super C on my hit list, but right now I'm trying to polish off Star Soldier since apparently it actually does have an ending.

I don't think I'd ever made it past Stage 4 before -- could never destroy that stupid Big Star Brain before it escaped -- but my best run yesterday ended on Stage 12. Considering Hudson designed these games to sell their autofire controllers, I don't think it's cheating to use the NES Advantage for this one. ;)

Adzuken (836) on 2/4/2014 5:24 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start 雷堂嬢太朗 -raido.jotaro- wrote--] Considering Hudson designed these games to sell their autofire controllers, I don't think it's cheating to use the NES Advantage for this one. ;) [/Q --end 雷堂嬢太朗 -raido.jotaro- wrote--] Takahashi-Meijin might say otherwise.

I could never get into Star Soldier, it's too... vanilla for me. Though, now that you mention it, Zanac has been on my list for a while. Maybe I'll pick that up and see if I can get past level... 2.

j.raido 【雷堂嬢太朗】 (93192) on 2/4/2014 7:29 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Adzuken wrote--]Takahashi-Meijin might say otherwise. [/Q --end Adzuken wrote--] Yeah, well, I can't split watermelons with my rapid-fire skills either.

I've kinda got a special attachment to Star Soldier as it's one of the first games I got for the NES when I was a kid. Good luck on Zanac, if you decide to brave that trial. ;)

j.raido 【雷堂嬢太朗】 (93192) on 2/13/2014 8:16 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Adzuken wrote--]What's next? Super C? Still haven't cleared that one yet. [/Q --end Adzuken wrote--] ...and I just knocked Super C off the list, too. :)

Had a run earlier where I cleared it, but I continued on... Stage 6, I think? Went back to it a few hours later and nailed it, had 11 lives left at the end. Of course, I wasn't recording that attempt because I wasn't expecting to make it past Stage 4...

Adzuken (836) on 2/13/2014 7:33 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start 雷堂嬢太朗 -raido.jotaro- wrote--] ...and I just knocked Super C off the list, too. :) [/Q --end 雷堂嬢太朗 -raido.jotaro- wrote--] Awesome! Nice job, guy!

Unfortunately, my copy of Super C is at the office and I can only play it on my lunch break in an environment that doesn't let me completely zone in. I'll maybe take it home on the weekend and see if I can polish it off.

leilei (343) on 2/3/2014 12:18 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Congrats!

I first completed Contra in 1994.... after many years of attempting to play it borrowed and no lives code.