Written by  :  Katakis | カタキス (39535)
Written on  :  Dec 15, 2006

read more reviews by Katakis | カタキス

Summary

The silencer will be onto you before you can say “Treason!”

The Good

Origin's action game Crusader: No Remorse has you playing the role of a Silencer who previously worked for the WEC, the World Economic Consortium. Your job was to hunt down the Resistance, a group working against the WEC. Recently, your friends were killed by one of WEC's mech patrol patrolling one of the consortium's tunnels, and for this reason, you decide to jump ship and join the Resistance in an attempt to get revenge on the WEC for their deaths. This involves you accomplishing a series of missions that are assigned to you by Col. Stephen Ely (played by Alex Morris). These missions include destroying one of WEC's experiments and rescuing people from prison – some of them due for execution.

Once you have completed a mission, you are provided co-ordinates for the nearest extraction point, courtesy of Troy “Wizard” Reeves (Taylor Gibbler). This is basically a pad which teleports you to rebel headquarters. There, you enter a lounge area where you get to watch the evening's edition of WEC News, talk to fellow troops, or do some business with the Weasel (Marco Perella) to buy or sell weapons. After this, you can get ready to tackle the next mission. The conversations between characters are stored in FMV sequences. You mainly get to view them just before, during, and after each mission. They usually of people giving you hints on what lies ahead as well as what they are doing There are a few FMV clips showing what the Silencer is doing up close.

As I may or may not have said earlier in one of my reviews, I like action games especially when they are mission-based, but it is not the completion of missions that I like in No Remorse. Rather, it is the destruction of equipment that you can cause as you move through the levels, such as electricity pylons, water tanks, and basically anything that is slightly larger than you. Destruction won't disrupt your mission, but for me, I enjoyed destroying things.

No Remorse uses an isometric viewpoint, which is capable of showing more shit on screen than any other viewpoint. If I am heading somewhere else other than the room that I am passing, and that room is revealed to me, then it gives me a look at what dangers that I can expect there, and figure out the weapons that I have to use when I am in there. Speaking of weapons, you are equipped with only your assault rifle, but as you progress through the game, you can obtain better weapons that are hidden in boxes or within plain view. Your assault rifle can kill guards, security cameras, androids, mechs, and the like.

In later missions, the assault rifle just isn't good enough as things really heat up and enemies get tougher. There are enough security cameras everywhere you look, and if you don't destroy them as soon as you see them, the alarm will go off and some guards will keep going to your location until you destroy the camera and switch off the alarm. (There are some cameras that will send something after you if you are spotted as well.)

Of course, killing that many guards gave me the more reason to go up to their dead bodies and steal their credits that you can use later on. Not everyone is your enemy. During the course of the game, you will meet mechanics, engineers, and office staff. They will throw you lines (after raising their hands) such as “You're not supposed to be here”, “Authorized Personnel Only”, and my favorite, “Hey, whatchu doin' here?”

The majority of the game has you flipping switches to deactivating laser fields, collecting keycards and using them to get through the appropriate doors, and accessing computer terminals and reading messages that have the code needed to access restricted areas. There are terminals that display useless information, but I found some of these quite funny. For instance, one tells branch leaders that they must attend a meeting in WedgeRoom 1502. I don't know what a WedgeRoom is, but it must be one special room. There are display monitors that let you spy on certain rooms, and if you look at most of these monitors, you can reveal hidden doors and control robots which are able to destroy everything if it is not destroyed first.

The graphics are excellent, and since No Remorse is set in the future, you can expect the game's graphics to be futuristic. Almost every room that you visit is well organized. There are fifteen missions, and in the final one, you have to explore the Vigilance Platform, located somewhere in space. Space-age graphics are everywhere. By looking at the graphics in the game of this standard, I can expect what those in Crusader: No Regret would look like.

What makes this game really stand out is the high-quality music that can be heard while you play. I like the way that it reflects how dangerous the situation really is. My favorite piece out of all of them is from the first mission, as well as the last one.

The Bad

The Silencer has the tendency to get out his guns when you don't want him to, which is usually what happens if you fire for more than a minute.

Normally, I use cheat codes on every game just because I can get killed so easily. You expect that the cheat code for No Remorse only have to be entered once every mission, but that is not the case unfortunately. I have to enter the cheat immediately after I step off a teleport pad or get out of an elevator. Because of this, I always forgot sometimes to turn the cheat on.

The Bottom Line

Crusader: No Remorse is a isometric action game where you must complete a number of missions and wreak havoc on WEC headquarters. The highlights of this game is destroying equipment that won't disrupt your mission as a result, and controlling mech patrols and use them to go on a rampage through the complex. While completing missions, you have to deal with guards and robots with your weapons. You also have to read computer terminals and obtain keycards to get into restricted areas. The graphics are futuristic, especially those in later missions, and the music is excellent. This game will have you playing for hours.