The Dagger of Amon Ra (DOS)

Written by  :  Aaron Jones (16)
Written on  :  Nov 10, 2003
Rating  :  4.25 Stars4.25 Stars4.25 Stars4.25 Stars4.25 Stars

read more reviews by Aaron Jones

Summary

Brilliant! Over a decade later, it is still a masterpiece!

The Good

I love the cast of colorful characters. Everyone is a suspect, and it's up to you to find out who's killing everybody and why. The death scenes are very cool. As the character's get bumped off one by one, your list narrows and you become a little more afraid that you might be next. Full of mystery, intrigue, and suspense, it is a wonderful game that can stand the test of time. Perhaps not graphically, but in substance and plot. Very few games coming out nowadays can even hold a candle to it.

The Bad

The only complaint I had was in the version with speech, some of the acting left something to be desired, particularly with Laura herself. As I played the first version of the game, I had an idea with what all the characters would probably sound like, and in my mind, Steve Dorian was not a bass. Either way, the end is tough, particularly if you didn't collect all of the evidence or get all of the points. When the coroner asked me who did what and why, I had to play the game a couple of times through again just to get most of them right.

The Bottom Line

If you love mystery games, this one is for you! I put a personal guarantee that you will enjoy it, and be immersed in the story. As a matter of fact, if you have a free day, I'd be willing to bet that one could sit and just play it from beginning to end without stopping. A wonderful game, well worth the purchase if you can find it anywhere.