Written by  :  Tomer Gabel (4351)
Written on  :  Apr 23, 2000

read more reviews by Tomer Gabel

Summary

A near-perfect game, and one of my all-time favorites.

The Good

Dark Legions is the one and only game to ever beat Archon Ultra in its genre. It is perfect in almost every respect, and there are very few things I can think of that I'd like changed.

So what's so damn good about Dark Legions?
  • A very well-developed strategy section, which adds a great deal of complexity and strategic thought over the somewhat limited battlefield of Archon Ultra. Dark Legions adds trees, rocks, water and even "void" to the game map, enabling some units to pass, other units to manipulate the surrounding area, and the rest of the units will have to go around the obstacles.
  • A really good plot, although it does not really manifest in the game (but a game of this genre can't really include a plot).
  • Excellent all-around graphics, with reasonably smooth animations and extremely well-drawn 2D landscapes, sprites and characters. The battlefield graphics are great as well.
  • Great music (when there is any) and surprisingly good sound effects adds a great deal to the atmosphere of the game.
  • Excellent two-player battle system, with good controls and good response. Also a fair level of diversity between battlegrounds.
  • Great user interface, starting with the menusystem through the strategy section and the game customization menus.
  • The orbs are way cool, and the Phantom is one of the coolest characters in a game to date. You also gotta love them traps, and no game of this genre allows character upgrades (especially not rings). And the demons are just so cute!...

The Bad

There are a few things I would probably change in Dark Legions, starting with the lack of diversity in the music. Don't get me wrong - the music in Dark Legions is great, but there simply isn't enough of it. One background tune for the strategy section and another for combat, and that's not nearly enough as the same two tunes will get to you after a very short time.
Also problematic is the low resolution for the strategy section - I wish there was a way to see more of the playfield at once. But I guess it's OK for such an early game.

The Bottom Line

A terribly good game, almost perfect in every respect and certainly unique. Heartily recommended.