Darklands (DOS)

Written by  :  Indra is here (19783)
Written on  :  Apr 30, 2001

read more reviews by Indra is here

Summary

Wow, Darklands is an RPG that would kick the living day-lights out of today's games!

The Good

History. Reality. Scope. Skill. Saints. Detail, detail and detail. This is the most serious RPG game that I have ever encountered. If you hate history class, than this game would definitly change your mind! I even think I read the manual more than I played the game...;) The gloomy gothic like graphics were excellent, hours of reading those saint profiles gives you an inlook to the Catholic Mythology and Legend. Battle witches and demons, obtain rare relics, fight on God's side with the army of heaven backing you up! This is a new twist of RPG, whereas most RPG's are fiction, this is the most educational RPG ever. Rarest of the rare!

The Bad

Although as much as I liked this game, there are a few irritating things about the game. Although it is realtime, there are some real-time issues that I'd like to get rid of: 1. Getting older. Boy did this suck, the older you get, the wearier you character. I'd personally get over it if somewhere along the game you'd become an immortal or something...but no. Although you could create new characters to join your group, hey it wouldn't be the same! 2. Save games. I don't know if its a bug, but manual save gaming is enough already! Prepare to be irritated. 3. Real time exploring. No problem accept you can't save the game while doing it. (those dwarves are hell on earth!)

The Bottom Line

If you appreciate depth in a game, this one is rock bottom.