Forums > Game Forums > Daryl F. Gates Police Quest: Open Season > Is dude's name really part of the game's title?

Pseudo_Intellectual (66360) on 1/28/2013 5:08 AM · Permalink · Report

... or an exercise in branding intended to boost sales? I call shenanigans: http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/daryl-f-gates-police-quest-open-season/cover-art/gameCoverId,148791/

Cavalary (11445) on 1/28/2013 9:02 AM · Permalink · Report

Amazon seems to think so (1 2 3). Wikipedia's less convinced ("Daryl F. Gates' Police Quest: Open Season is the fourth installment of Sierra Entertainment's popular Police Quest computer game series. [...] The game is listed as Police Quest 4 (PQ4) in the manual. It is also shown in the file names and the credits, and when exiting the game in DOS, "Thank you for playing Police Quest IV: Open Season".") Abandonia even less so.

Indra was here (20756) on 1/28/2013 9:43 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Cavalary wrote--]The game is listed as Police Quest 4 (PQ4) in the manual. It is also shown in the file names and the credits, and when exiting the game in DOS, "Thank you for playing Police Quest IV: Open Season". [/Q --end Cavalary wrote--] Tagged-line title it is then.

Pseudo_Intellectual (66360) on 1/28/2013 5:23 PM · Permalink · Report

The grammarian in me finds the current title an unstable compromise between Wikipedia's (put in the darned apostrophe already!) and the short version.

CalaisianMindthief (8172) on 1/28/2013 1:35 PM · Permalink · Report

Based on the screens, in the opening it's called simply Open Season, and in the main menu it's just Police Quest. I would leave it as it is now.

Indra was here (20756) on 1/28/2013 1:43 PM · Permalink · Report

Tag-lined title: Can't make up make their mind for a dang title, it is then. :p