Descent (DOS)

Written by  :  Chris Martin (1098)
Written on  :  Jun 05, 2000

read more reviews by Chris Martin

Summary

A stomach turning adventure...

The Good

This game is one of my favorites. This is one of the first games that was fully three-dimensional. Not just forward, backward, left, and right - but also up in down. This set a standard for three-dimensional gaming that a lot of games are still judged against.

The graphics are incredible considering the age of the game. Polygons fill the screen, and on a Pentium 233, this game is very fluid and seamlessly coherent. The sensation of speed and flight are incredible.

The sound and music in the game are extremely dynamic and realistic. The music in the background really sets the tone for the game, and therefore does not take away from the games atmosphere. The sound effects are top-notch. A fantastic array of laser blasts, explosions, and moving parts along with the sounds of robots make this a very complete environment.

The controls are fairly simple as long as you use a joystick. The keyboard is a very tricky, although complete, way of flying your machine. The keyboard allows total control over your craft, while a joystick is mostly used for positioning and weapons fire. The keyboard can be mapped out to your liking, so making it usable for yourself is fairly simple. Personally, I use a combination of both the keyboard and the joystick. This allows for more precise control of your craft, while giving you access to all of the games functions.

The artificial intelligence, depending on the level you choose, can range from easy to brutal. Located throughout each level are respawners that allow robots to reappear in level. This makes the upper levels extremely difficult to complete. But, that's what this game is about. :)

The Bad

I did not have any dislikes for this game. I believe that Interplay really pushed the envelope of computer graphics with this game.

The Bottom Line

This game, in my opinion, is one of the best games ever produced. Do yourself a favor, and pick this game up if you find it. You will not be disappointed by the game play or any other factor of this game.