The Dig (DOS)

Written by  :  Digital Arse (14)
Written on  :  Nov 23, 2000

read more reviews by Digital Arse

Summary

Under-rated game that never did as well as it should have.

The Good

There's so much to like about this game, I never understand why no one liked it. So being the only soul in the free world who enjoyed it, I feel I need to speak out on it's behalf.

The best aspect of the game I found was the graphics. All the backgrounds are luscious hand-painted pieces that truly show off the alien plane'ts evocative landscapes. A close second behind that is Michael Land's classic Wagnerian score. Very few games before or after "The Dig" have managed to have such a well put together score, and it's a joy to listen to it every time you play.

Spielberg's story can't be beat, and the voice-actors really bring the characters in the story to life. Yes, the game was a bit wordy, but I like this in a game. Overall, I thought this was a great game that never found the audience it deserved.

The Bad

I din't like the fact that it sold so poorly that there's no chance of a sequel to continue the story! Seriously though, I never encountered any bugs in the game, but that's mostly on par with Lucasarts' track record.

The Bottom Line

Go out and look for it in the bargain bins. A game this good shouldn't be forgotten.