Digital League Baseball (DOS)

Digital League Baseball DOS The title screen of the shareware release

MISSING COVER

Written by  :  piltdown_man (63026)
Written on  :  Dec 31, 2013
read more reviews by piltdown_man

Summary

Boring if you don't understand the game

The Good

This is an old game and has to be judged as such. The animated graphics here are crude by today's standards but compared to other games of the period they are pretty good. They flow and they are sufficiently accurate to convey the impression of a ball being thrown or hit. The action takes place in little windows which is a cute solution to making a game like this work on the early low powered machines and it works surprisingly well. The pitcher pops up in a window and throws the ball to the hitter. The ball is struck and it flies out of the window which disappears but another takes its place as the ball approaches a fielder. They catch the ball and throw it to someone else causing their window to disappear and a new one to appear and so on.

There is sound too. It is crude and is limited to a blip when the ball is hit and a wibbly-wobbly sound to convey applause when a player gets home, but there is sound and that's what games of this period had if they had anything at all.

The game plays fluently on low powered machines. I played it using DOSBOX and due to an embarrassing mix-up with control keys I managed to reduce DOSBOX to less than thirty cycles before it dawned on me that there was a problem. The game actually plays very well at around ninety to one hundred cycles which, for many games, is wholly inadequate.

The Bad

I don't understand baseball but I opened wikipedia's baseball page in one window and gave this game a try. I found it boring.
This opinion has a lot to do with the first, and only, match I played in which the LA Dodgers slaughtered the San Diego Padres 169 - 5. If I knew more about the game I'd probably know whether this is a normal result between these teams and if not what change to make to the team to stop the carnage. As it is I've been making team changes for the past forty-five minutes with no effect.
The result is a game where I sit there hitting the ENTER key repeatedly waiting for it all to be over.

The Bottom Line

A curiosity, a blast from the past, that you'll enjoy if you understand what all the numbers mean and how to influence them to affect the outcome of the game.