DOOM II (DOS)

4.2
Written by  :  Chris Martin (1098)
Written on  :  May 28, 2000

read more reviews by Chris Martin

Summary

A evil, cruel, demon-infested fun-fest!

The Good

Doom 2.

I can honestly admit that I played Doom 2 before playing Doom. With that piece of info out there, I love the game.

The graphics for its time are top-notch. In fact, compared to the games out know, I believe that they hold up their own. Sure, there are no belzier curves or multi-level playing fields, but Doom 2 had it all.

The controls are fantastic. Highly configurable, and really responsive, great for blasting a demon or two :)

The ambient sound is fantastic. Just enough demon-howls to chill your blood.

Level Construction is excellent. The desginers put a lot of thought into the constructions of the levels. Also, the option of playing through the levels with a 2-player cooperative mode (if hooked into a LAN) is a feature I wish that were included in the newer games (See Nintendo's Perfect Dark for a shining example of this).

Also, the amount of new maps available give this game UNLIMITED replayability. On a personal note, There are a few mods that recreate the WOLF3D levels that are worth checking out as well.

The Bad

There isn't a lot NOT to like. It's a fantastic game all around.

The Bottom Line

It's a great futuristic game with plenty of replayability. If you get it, I guarantee that it will sit on your hard drive. You won't want to delete it.