Advertising BlurbsBack of Box - DOS (UK):
- Explore New levels based on current hit movies (i.e. Mission Impossible and ID4) as well as cool locations like "Duke Burger, "Babe World", and "Area 51".
- See two enemies and a new boss get their a*#e's kicked by Duke's steel-toed boots and 9 other weapons.
- Smell steaming entrails as Duke's new microwave cannon fries and explodes those alien b"#!*@?s.
- Hear aliens squeal as Duke aborts their entire race in one of two hilarious and controversial new cut-scenes.
- Hear dozens of new one-liners from the man himself (Duke Talk).
- Ultra-cool new features allows playing multiplayer games against Al controlled computer opponents (up to 7 of them).
- Other Duke approved stuff: Duke Win 95 themes, 5 Duke Screen savers, 6 Duke jigsaw puzzles and image carousel.
Here it is. The all-new Atomic EditionIt's Duke Nukem 3D, the number one selling computer game in the known world, complete with aliens, strippers, steroids, adult language, humour, and violence. Plus the Plutonium PAK, an amazing new episode with more added stuff than you can shake a boomstick at.
THE MOST REALISTIC 3D SCENARIOS
Futuristic Los Angeles is your backdrop as you annihilate alien invaders. There are functional urinals, pool tables, subways, film projectors and more!
39 LEVELS OF MAYHEM
The three original episodes, plus the all-new Plutonium PAK-11 new hilarious and controversial levels. Not to mention, Duke Win95 themes, 5 Duke screen savers, jigsaw puzzles, Image Carousel and more.
Duke it out one-on-one via modem. Or pick on Duke wanna-bees in an 8-player network game.
5 Controversial & Funny Cut-Scenes
11 Strategically Unique Weapons
Powerful 3D Level Editor Included
8-Player Dukematch Net Games
High Resolution SVGA Support
Dive into Exciting Underwater Action
Tons of Movie References and Hidden Gags
40 Truly Interactive and Intriguing Levels
Contributed by JudgeDeadd (8359) on Jul 06, 2009.
The third chapter in the series, and the first with a 3D perspective (the original Duke Nukem and the sequel, Duke Nukem II, are side scrolling platform games). This game, set sometime in the early 21st century, begins in a ravaged LA, which was overtaken by aliens while you were abducted during Duke Nukem II. Duke, upon returning to Earth, finds himself with another mess to clean up, and another alien race that needs exterminating. Duke is a can-do hero who realizes that sometimes innocent people have to die in order to save Earth, so accuracy of gun fire is not a real concern to him. :)
- There's a mine that can be placed on any wall and sends out a laser trip beam-- perfect for multiplayer games.
- There's also a shrinker ray that reduces an opponent to the size of a G.I. Joe, at which point they are foot fodder--watch them splat!
- As in Shadow Warrior, you can swim under water, and even shoot players who are standing outside the water, or vice versa.
Originally released January 29, 1996.
Plutonium PAK? Atomic Edition? What's all that about?
Until November 1996, the only registered version of Duke Nukem 3D was v1.3d. We created a new version that had a new fourth episode, and we changed the version to v1.4 - We also gave that a new name - "The Atomic Edition". In order to upgrade customers who had the registered v1.3d CD, we created a patch that could be purchased - that patch was called "The Plutonium PAK".
In December 1996, we updated it again for a few minor bug fixes, and the version number was again changed to v1.5. Both v1.4 and v1.5 are "Atomic". The term "Plutonium PAK" refers ONLY to the patch you need to use to upgrade an existing copy of v1.3 to v1.4. (There is a further patch available online for free to upgrade a v1.4 to v1.5).
Using 'The Plutonium PAK' will result on your copy of Duke Nukem 3D becoming 'The Atomic Edition' - The term "Plutonium PAK" refers only to the actual patch. The resultant game is called 'The Atomic Edition'. If this is all confusing, your best bet is to forget about the names and use use the version numbers. :)
In short, if you had the old 3 episode registered version (the registered v1.3d CD), you want to get the Plutonium PAK (and the 1.5 free patch online), and if you don't have any Duke Nukem at all, or just the shareware, you need to buy the "Atomic Version" CD. If you buy the Atomic version, you are done.
We no longer sell the old registered version, we only sell the Atomic Edition. Furthermore, in October of 2001, the Plutonium PAK was discontinued. Contact Customer Support for more information about this.
Contributed by Xoleras (66269) on Jun 13, 2004.
This game has a long list of cool things that haven't been attempted in 3D action games, yet. The weapons, for example, kick-butt: