DescriptionEchelon is a space combat simulator with wire-frame graphics. Fly around an alien planet, looking for clues to a "mysterious event" in the planet's past.
The game has a feature that allows people to play without concerning themselves with battle, or turn off the "exploration" and concentrate solely on combat.
There are no promo images for this game
|Starglider/Elite as an atmospheric-flight puzzle game||Matt McLaine (52)|
|The Games Machine (UK)||Jun, 1989||61 out of 100||61|
There are currently no topics for this game.
C64 versionThe Commodore 64 version of Echelon shipped with the "Lip Stik", a headset and microphone that purported to take voice commands, but in reality just acted as a firebutton. It plugged directly into the joystick port.
ReferencesUnmarked even on the Hint Map were several unusual locations and structures, including a McDonalds, the Golden Gate bridge, and others. They could be blown up, and the bridges could be flown under and through (lengthwise).
SoundThe game uses Access' "Real Sound" technlogy - digitized sound through the standard PC speaker.
Information also contributed by Matt McLaine
Related Web Sites
- Cambridge Centre for Computing History (MS-DOS) (For Tandy & IBM compatibles: exhibit reference ID CH11372; additional material.)
- Cambridge Centre for Computing History (US Gold, Amstrad CPC) (For Amstrad CPC464: exhibit reference ID CH41747; additional material.)
- Cambridge Centre for Computing History (ZX Spectrum) (For ZX Spectrum: exhibit reference ID CH9688; additional material.)
- Commodore 64 Boxed Sets (For C64: game packaging digitalisations. Include box, manual, brochure, additional material.)
- CPC-Power (in French) (For Amstrad CPC: game database entry; game packaging; manual digitalizations; goodies; advertisement; magazine reviews; downloadable releases; additional material.)
- CPCRrulez (in French) (For Amstrad CPC: game database entry; advertisement; game packaging; downloadable releases; additional material.)
- DOSBox, an x86 emulator with DOS (Statistics page of compatibility with original DOS version.)
- Kio's home (For ZX Spectrum: additional material including – photographed cassete inlay; snapshots; downloadable releases.)
- Lemon 64 (For C64: game entry database; advertisement; magazine reviews; music; documentation; cover art; additional material.)
- Metacritic (PC) (For PC: reviews; ratings; critics; trailers; additional material.)
- The Tipshop (For ZX Spectrum: a central archive for all Spectrum and SAM games hints, tips, cheats, maps, hacks and pokes. )
- World of Spectrum (For ZX Spectrum: downloadable releases; additional material including – cassette inlay, advertisement, instructions; remakes links; player reviews; magazine references; magazine adverts.)
- ZX Spectrum Reviews (For ZX Spectrum: magazine game reviews in HTML.)