F-117A Nighthawk Stealth Fighter 2.0 (DOS)

Written by  :  Stephen M (24)
Written on  :  Jul 26, 2006

read more reviews by Stephen M

Summary

A beautiful stealth simulation.

The Good

Back when this game was released, a few of my friends and I got together to share tactics. Now either the game was that good, or we were total idiots. I leave that for you to decide. ;)

If flying below radar at subsonic speeds, sweating profusely at the slightest blip on the radar, then this game is for you. If you want action, dogfights, and supersonic races to the target, then rather play another game.

The point of this game is to fly to your target undetected, complete your goal, be it photographs or decimating a weapons factory, and then return safely - again, undetected. To do this, you have a choice of planes - "real" or "Microprose", the former being more stealthy, the latter having more weapons. The strategy involves plotting a course, avoiding two types of radar at different locations, and then actually flying the course.

Autopilot comes in very handy, as does accelerated time. The actual flight dynamics are not as good as you would expect, but in its day I never complained. The different campaigns allow for varied difficulty, as well as certain options that can be chosen besides.

The Bad

At time of release, there was not much to complain about. The music was Adlib, not my favourite.

The Bottom Line

The game itself was a good step up from its predecessor, F19 Stealth Fighter. I still enjoy it, even now, and hope to see an updated release along these lines one day.