Flightmare (DOS)

Flightmare DOS Introduction

MISSING COVER

2.9
Written by  :  Trixter (8734)
Written on  :  Jan 18, 2000

read more reviews by Trixter

Summary

A novel presentation that should have refined before implementation.

The Good

In a time when most shareware/freeware games for the PC were not only sparse but lacking any real quality, Flightmare was a welcome surprise. With fast action, an interesting gameplay idea, and a good framerate, it was very fun to play when you first got your hands on it. I'd have to say that the initial "wow factor" when starting the game up was its best asset.

The Bad

The "interesting gameplay idea" referenced above was the representation of "3D" graphics via a side view and a top view. In order for an enemy to hit you, he had to be lined up with you in both views. Unfortunately, the same held true for you; you had to line up both the side view and the top view to connect a shot. In a simulation or something a little less fast-paced, this is fine. But in a white-knuckle action game, controlling two sets of 8-directional key groupings (there was no dual-joystick support) was just too much for one single human to handle.

I was young when I first discovered Flightmare, and I have to admit I got pretty good at it after playing for about two hours. But I was a gaming freak back then, nowhere near a "normal" gamer. I am firmly convinced that the only people who can play Flightmare well are people who are ambidexterous.

The Bottom Line

With its frustrating control interface, Flightmare is worth playing only if you are confident of your reflexes and can find an original 4.77MHz machine to play it on. (Trust me, you don't need this game any faster than it already is.)