Solomon's Key for the NES was released in Japan on this day in 1986.

Gauntlet (DOS)

Written by  :  Tomer Gabel (4388)
Written on  :  Jun 30, 2000
Rating  :  3.75 Stars3.75 Stars3.75 Stars3.75 Stars3.75 Stars

read more reviews by Tomer Gabel

Summary

One of the most addictive games ever, and a downright excellent arcade conversion.

The Good

Although I know a lot of people will disagree with me, I have to say that Gauntlet is one of the best games I've ever played. Despite some of its less appealing aspects, it is an immensely addictive game, with more-than-decent graphics, good animation, great level design and certianly does not skimp on gameplay. This is the kind of game I could play for hours and hours because it's just FUN.

It is also a very good arcade conversion - the CGA graphics retain the spirit of the original arcade graphics, and the controls warrant a special A-OK.

The Bad

The two unforgivable bad aspects of Gauntlet are: A. horrible sound and evident lack of music, and B. amazingly repetitive gameplay. Although you can't expect too much of a '88 XT game, still - the sound effects are enough to blow one's brains out and better be turned off. As for the repetitive gameplay, I guess it's just a matter of preference; in any case, most games of the period were just as repetitive.

The Bottom Line

A seriously addictive arcade classic. Get it, play it and see if you like it or not.