1 out of 2 people found this review helpfulwrite a review of this game
read more reviews by Roedie
read more reviews for this game
SummaryThe king of a dead genre
The GoodThe first time I caught a glimpse of Golden Axe was in an Arcade somewhere in France. I was really impressed by the marvelous graphics. On the PC the game still looked pretty marvelous, but unfortunately not on my PC (I had a 286 at the time). But Golden Axe’s graphics are among the best (maybe even the best) of it’s time. I like the creativity of the designers: the island that is a giant turtle, the huge eagle. The design of those stages is extremely well done. Moreover the magical spells are a joy to watch. The graphics are Golden Axe’s best feature. But there are some other things to like about Golden Axe.
- Great sound effects & midi music. I can still hum some of those tunes.
- You can knock enemy soldiers off their dragons and ride the dragons yourself.
- It has a two-player cooperative mode, there nothing more fun than beating up some bad guys together.
- It has a nice story twist. At a certain moment you think you have won the game but the toughest part is yet to come.
- It’s not complete! The intro and the cool ending that MAT is talking about are not included in the PC port.
- The controls feel a little stiff.
- Gilius is a lot better than the other two heroes because of the broad range of his axe (combined with his jump-attack). Not only would this cause arguments about who would get to play with Gilius, it also meant you virtually had to play with Gilius in order to win. I could beat the game easily when I played with Gilius but never succeeded with one of the others.
- The “Duel” mode is lame and very difficult to complete.