DescriptionThe famous Indianapolis 500 Mile race, held annually at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway on the Memorial Day weekend, is one of the most famous automobile racing events in North America. The event is simulated here using 3D polygon graphics to recreate the 33 cars in the race. Players are able to choose their car and customize it with a variety of options. Modifications include wing down-force, tire pressures, wheel stagger (making the right-side wheels larger, to compensate for the banked corners) and turbo output (which provides boost, but stresses the engine and uses more fuel).
After qualifying (by performing during four laps and taking the average) players can race over 10, 30, 60 or the full 200 laps. Lower modes remove car damage and the 'full-course yellow' system, the absence of these can make for repeat carnage including traffic collisions and huge pile-ups.
- "Indy 500" -- Informal name
Part of the Following Groups
|A solid performer and faithful simulation.||Trixter (8720)|
|Computer and Video Games (CVG)||Jan, 1990||96 out of 100||96|
|Zero||Mar, 1990||94 out of 100||94|
|ACE (Advanced Computer Entertainment)||Feb, 1990||935 out of 1000||94|
|The One||Jan, 1990||89 out of 100||89|
|ASM (Aktueller Software Markt)||Jan, 1990||10.2 out of 12||85|
|The Games Machine (UK)||Mar, 1990||83 out of 100||83|
|Power Play||Mar, 1990||80 out of 100||80|
|PC Joker||Aug, 1992||79 out of 100||79|
|Joker Verlag präsentiert: Sonderheft||1990||78 out of 100||78|
|PC Player (Germany)||Sep, 1994||69 out of 100||69|
There are currently no topics for this game.
SimulationMany consider this the first auto racing simulation based on realistic driving behaviour, but REVS (1986), developed by Geoff Crammond, already introduced this in a game.
- ACE (Advanced Computer Entertainment)
- February 1991 (issue #41) - Included in the list Greatest Games of all Time, section Racing Games (editorial staff choice)
- Amiga Power
- May 1991 (Issue #00) - #9 in the "All Time Top 100 Amiga Games"
- Computer Gaming World
- November 1996 (15th anniversary issue) – #122 in the “150 Best Games of All Time” list
- IGCD Internet Game Cars Database (Game page on IGCD, a database that tries to archive vehicles found in video games.)