Jill of the Jungle (DOS)

3.5
Written by  :  Sir Gofermajster (481)
Written on  :  Jul 18, 2008
Rating  :  4.25 Stars4.25 Stars4.25 Stars4.25 Stars4.25 Stars

read more reviews by Sir Gofermajster

Summary

It's great... but a little bit too short.

The Good

Jill of the Jungle has good graphics (because they require 256 colors, but you can run this game with 16 or even 4 colors). It supports joystick and Sound Blaster (any other sound cards aren't welcome). During the gameplay you will face many different enemies, such as snails, frogs and enormous ants, even bigger than you! But you aren't unarmed, you've got a spinning blade and a knife. You may ask, "What? Only two weapons?". And I answer: it's enough. Both weapons are powerful, you can throw a spinning blade to one of these enormous ants and they are dead! And you can morph into frog, bird and fish! Each animal has its own abilities. For example, when you are bird, you can throw fire, but you are very vulnerable to water. You will visit many different places, such as castle and plateau. Some levels also contain puzzles. Sounds are sometimes a little bit bizarre, but they're very funny and they sound pretty good. Music is just wonderful. It's various - some tracks are spooky, other are dynamic or just great. I wish I could have some of these tracks on my cell phone...

The Bad

Unfortunately, this game may look excellent, but there are some things, which decreased my rate. First, Jill has very ugly blue sky background. All puzzles can be very easily beaten (except this castle one, where you have to collect keys and jump to the right platforms. It requires some thinking and reflex). And the worst thing about Jill is length of gameplay. You can finish this game in one afternoon.

The Bottom Line

It's a very good game, if you want to play for 15 minutes or you just love 2D platform games (like me!). Unfortunately there aren't any level editors to keep this game alive longer. What a pity!