Kiloblaster (DOS)

Kiloblaster DOS Episode selection

MISSING COVER

2.5
Written by  :  Sir Gofermajster (481)
Written on  :  Jul 31, 2008

read more reviews by Sir Gofermajster

Summary

It should be "Kilocrap", not "Kiloblaster".

The Good

To tell the truth, there's nothing good in this game. Maybe some backgrounds and bonuses, but they also aren't very impressive.

The Bad

Almost everything. First, there is annoying welcome screen. You have to watch it every time you run "Kiloblaster" for about 10 seconds, and you can't skip it! Second, music and sounds are just horrible. They use SoundBlaster as "Jill of the Jungle", but these tracks are a piece of... aaaa... nevermind. Third, sprites look like they were copied from "Galaxian" for NES! But this game requires VGA card for 256 colors. While background really uses 256 colors, sprites look like they use 16 colors! Not to mention, that they are very simple.

Another "space shooter" from Epic, called "Overkill", requires 16 colors, but it looks much better. And it was released in the same year as "Kiloblaster". And the worst thing is gameplay. I always thought that it can't be screwed in "space shooter". But guys in Epic are very smart and intelligent, and they made an impossible thing - they ruined "space shooter" gameplay! "Kiloblaster" is too easy! Imagine that: on the screen appears randomly generated enemy in randomly selected place with some bonuses. You shoot it, grab bonuses, and there comes another enemy with another bonuses. And so on, and so on. You can receive an invulnerability shield on the beginning! Oh, my.

The Bottom Line

I went berserk during writing this review. I'm usually a quiet guy, but "Kiloblaster" made me really, really angry. My advice: don't play it. "Overkill" is much better.