King's Quest III: To Heir is Human (DOS)

Written by  :  OlSkool_Gamer (99)
Written on  :  Jan 04, 2004

read more reviews by OlSkool_Gamer

Summary

Quite possibly the most challenging KQ in the series, one of the best too!

The Good

First off, I love the way you start out as this little servant boy who is bossed around by a mean wizard... it keeps you on the edge of your seat as you run and take and hide items while you dodge the wizard's random visits. The best word that I can think of to describe this game is suspenseful.

You constantly have to be aware of how much time you have spend and how much you have left before the wizard comes back... it adds a very tricky factor to the game and prevents anyone from just rushing through it. I can recall feeling anxiety from being in the wizards basement trying to create a spell correctly and get out of there before the wizard catches me and kills me...

The game is also nice in the fact that it doesn't overwhelm you with a extremely non-linear game path. The game is basically divided in to 3 or 4 main areas and you can't proceed to the next without completing the current one. Mainly until you kill the Wizard, you are stuck most of the time inside the house (except for a few times), then you move on to explore the wilderness below, then move on to the ship and island. Keeps you on track.

I basically enjoyed everything about this game

The Bad

Sometimes walking on the paths could be a bit tricky, especially using the joysticks of the time.

The font in the spell book that came with the manual of the game was sometimes hard to read because it was done in a cursive font. This isn't a problem now but when I first played this game when I was in the 4th grade, it was kind of difficult to understand.

The Bottom Line

Another great game from Roberta Williams, if you liked any other King's Quests, this one is sure not to let you down!