King's Quest V: Absence Makes the Heart Go Yonder! (DOS)

Written by  :  James1 (240)
Written on  :  Apr 20, 2007
read more reviews by James1

Summary

One of the first adventure games I played

The Good

Kings Quest 5 was a major turning point for Sierra. The graphics were updated to include VGA, and real actors faces were used as a base for the drawings. The plot centres on King Graham, who is going for a walk and when he gets back, he discovers that a nasty wizard, Mordak, has kidnapped his family and stolen his castle. Luckily, Cedric, an owl, saw the whole thing happen. He agrees to take King Graham to his master who can help him save his family. Its a pretty fairy-tale-ish fare, but executed very well.

The Bad

The only thing that bugged me was the timing issues in certain parts of the game. For example, (not spoiling anything here) near the end of the game you must use a certain machine, but a graphical and scripting glitch prevents you from going any further in the game. So remember to save often! Other than that, it was a fantastic game that kept me immersed from beginning to end.

The Bottom Line

Kings Quest 5 is a fantastic game, possibly the best Kings Quest game in the series. You are able to get it fairly cheaply in the King's Quest Compilation, however if you live in Australia like me, you can order it from a US site, its well worth the money!