DescriptionKnights of the Sky is a World War I flight combat sim where you pilot one of 20 different aircraft (each handles differently) as you engage in simple missions or join a full campaign where you will progress through World War I, going on a variety of missions, patrols, and even encounter enemy aces. You can engage balloons and blimps, enemy fighters and bombers, even strafe group targets such as supply trains. If you do really good in the game, one of the enemy aces may drop a note to challenge you to an aerial duel.
A unique feature of the game is the capability of modem link so you can challenge fellow modem owners to dogfights, something that none of its contemporaries had.
Part of the Following Groups
- Aircraft: Airco DH.2
- Aircraft: Albatros D.II
- Aircraft: Albatros D.III
- Aircraft: Albatros D.V
- Aircraft: Fokker Dr.I
- Aircraft: Fokker D.VII
- Aircraft: Fokker D.VIII (E.V)
- Aircraft: Fokker E.III
- Aircraft: Halberstadt D.II
- Aircraft: Nieuport 11
- Aircraft: Nieuport 17
- Aircraft: Pfalz D.III
- Aircraft: RAF S.E.5
- Aircraft: Sopwith Camel
- Aircraft: Sopwith Pup
- Aircraft: Sopwith Snipe
- Aircraft: Sopwith Triplane
- Aircraft: SPAD S.VII
- Aircraft: SPAD S.XIII
- Games with manual lookup copy protection
- Historical conflict: World War I
- Red Baron games
|A good game to learn dogfighting, or even just learning to fly.||John Schall (3)||unrated|
|I haven't been the same since||ian good (1)||unrated|
The Press Says
|Computer Gaming World (CGW)||Nov, 1991||70|
|Power Play||Feb, 1991||67 out of 100||67|
There are currently no topics for this game.
Cancelled Genesis versionA Genesis version was developed and actually reviewed by GamePro (Nov. 1994, Rating: 2 out of 5), but it was never released.
TitleThe game was originally to be called Red Baron, but the company later learned that Sierra/Dynamix already had the rights.
- A second DOS release of Knights of the Sky was made available that contained:
- General bug fixes
- Fix for fast 386's and 486's
- "Friendly" patrols
- Incremental damage from enemy fire
- Enhanced IBM sound driver
- In the Amiga/ST versions of the game you can land your plane and get it completely repaired, but you are not permitted to take on more ammunition.