Leisure Suit Larry 1: In the Land of the Lounge Lizards (DOS)

Written by  :  steve mcgarry (3)
Written on  :  May 18, 2009

read more reviews by steve mcgarry

Summary

The Original is far superior

The Good

Playing the first Leisure Suit Larry alongside this one, I found that the original was so much better. The wacky graphics slowed down action and gameplay. For instance your own character on screen gets in the way when you want to click on the bar stool, etc. How bizarre that it was *faster* to type in commands in the old version than in the newer point & click. The casino room was particularly slow. Perhaps the system might have been considered a little less harshly when it was released, though it is lacking even for 1991. The blackjack game was nicer though essentially the same, just a bit tidied up.. but it was a great loss that the blackjack table animation had been kicked and it looked instead like a slot machine. The one saving grace is the music which is very very nice in comparison with the bleeps of the Eighties.

The Bad

On playing, I expected it to be preferable to the original 1987 version but I was totally wrong. The worst thing was the inaccuracy of the mouse pointer: when changed, for instance, to a glove to use objects, it often missed the spot you would expect to hit. And the glove didn't look like a glove. Other inventory images, e.g. the wine, did not look like what they were meant to be. The controls were irritating at times.. The cursor responded to my earlier movements at one point as I try to obtain an object - the drunk says "oh, well if you don't want it..." and the object is obliterated. What can I say except to play the original, it is so much better in terms of control. This lacks the mature humour of its predecessor, which is odd for something which was essentially a replication. In the older version there is an awesome death sequence which is really rather humorous and turns the tables on the "instant death" which adventurers at this time would complain about. In this new version it is painful to watch through this slow sequence and it destroys the joke. What was really insulting was the remarks of the programmers that thought they were witty by criticising your current score in the game.

The Bottom Line

As a stand-alone game it is good, but play the original and you will have a far more enjoyable experience. This surprised me as I played them both for the first time side-by-side and yet the older version had more character and better playability.