Leisure Suit Larry III: Passionate Patti in Pursuit of the Pulsating Pectorals (DOS)

Written by  :  Accatone (5183)
Written on  :  Oct 09, 2000

read more reviews by Accatone

A delicate flavor...

The Good

I'm not the kind of man who likes to play classic graphic adventure games. I wish I wasn't but I find watching someone who is trying his/her best to follow the scenario much more appealing than playing it by myself (at least my elder brother and some of my friends give more of themselves when playing these games; I never managed unfortunately, ever!). But wouldn't it be great if you had the chance to watch, for example LucasArt's "The Secret of Monkey Island" or "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade"? I could watch them over and over and over again! As a movie buff I can honestly say that watching a good adventure game may sometimes become a more effective experience than watching a good movie (even if it is based on that movie and that was Indy's last crusade! :)

Well, I would be really very happy if I had watched Larry Laffer's third adventure. Maybe it was Al Lowe's "another humorous, harmless 3-D animated endeavor for adults" (I don't like his humor or Larry character much however he sometimes could create some nice snapshots) but what I liked most in the game was its outstanding atmosphere that set the scenes. You really can't help but admire Roger Hardy and William D. Skirvin's excellent piece of pixel art or Mike Dana's GREAT musical score. From the very beginning (lovely vista point) you already love their work.

I'm not inside the story much but in all of Larry adventures, to me, it was Larry's best adventure. From the jungle island to the amazon cannibal women, mad scientists to secret laboratories nearly all ideas were formed very well. The switching role with Patti was really fun and a nice change to see the story from another point of view...

I also liked the manual the game comes with. Different from an ordinary game manual its manual was designed like a guide to the island where you can find many absurd staff. Besides, the illustration William Eaken had created for "the Punk Flamingo Disco" was simply incredible, "dance your grass off at the disco in the beautiful downtown Nontoonyt Mall"!

The Bad

Well, hmm, let me think! Maybe "Polyester Patty in Pursuit of the Pulsating Pectorals" was a better title. No! I thought again! It isn't. When I hear "Polyester" I always remember John Waters' movie of the same name. You know? Anyway, never mind. I reckon...

The Bottom Line

Even if you didn't play any Larry adventure before, this third part would be a perfect beginning. Yeah, it's time to meet Leisure Suit Larry and Passionate Patti!