MobyPoll: Which 5th generation (32-bit) console do you admire the most?

Leisure Suit Larry III: Passionate Patti in Pursuit of the Pulsating Pectorals (DOS)

Written by  :  Late (98)
Written on  :  Apr 03, 2001
read more reviews by Late

Summary

Hey, this is way better than Dallas Quest!

The Good

The storyline and dialog in this game are among the best in animated adventure games. I mean, Larry's I & II were great fun and had excellent puzzles, but PPPPP has the sort of plot that really got me involved - I actually enjoyed the story as much as the gameplay. What with the excellent soundtrack (this was the first game I could try my brand new SB 2.0 on) and hi-res graphics this was top-notch technically as well as adventure-wise. Though the game is reasonably large (eleven floppies as I recall?), it holds together pretty well, and I never experienced a dull moment with it.

The Bad

Unfortunately, the Sierra way of doing hi-res EGA graphics was to use a lot of color rasters rather than using solid colors, which looked reasonably good back when the game was released but really gets on my nerves today. Also, most older Sierra games suffer from the sudden-death syndrome that can really drive a person used to Lucasfilm games mad (though this didn't bother me at the time).

The biggest bug (it must be a programming error, no one would implement it in an adventure game on purpose) in the game is the arcade sequence, where Patti has to ride a log on a river, avoiding all sorts of nasty obstascles. Its about as much fun as having your teeth bashed in with bricks, in my opinion. The maze I can live with, if Adventure had one or two, why shouldn't other adventure games? (Besides, the manual includes a walk-through of the maze, if you can find it.)

Oh yeah, installing the game off floppies was a real pain...

The Bottom Line

A funny and involving animated adventure game with loads to play and pretty logical puzzles. Not really all that raunchy, but does include animated sexual intercourse (in small 16-colour graphics), so its more like Larry I than the puzzle- and humour-oriented Larry II in that sense. One of the most enjoyable "old" Sierra games.