Leisure Suit Larry III: Passionate Patti in Pursuit of the Pulsating Pectorals (DOS)

Written on  :  Oct 02, 2003

Summary

All you need is love

The Good

It is maybe strange to start with this, but every time I think of this game, this wonderful melody of the beginning comes to my head. No, I don't mean the well-known Larry theme (which is quite a hit, by the way), but the beautiful, longing, atmospheric music of the island - it plays every time Larry wanders around. It is truly one of my favorite all-time computer games tunes.

The story has its great parts, too. Why, this is one of the few video game stories that deal with love! It was so nice to see the good old Larry discovering feelings in himself he never found either before, or after (come on, Larry 7 is just a moral crime compared to this!). Pity the love comes after some typical (too typical!) encounters with some less-than-fascinating women. But Patty is great. It was really fun to play her, and the fact she has to take off almost all the parts of her clothes in order to complete the game gives it a slight, delicious erotic flavor.

The second part of the game also brings back the great suspense and the adventuring spirit of "Larry 2". Overall, the second part of the game is much more fascinating than the first, not only because you control a sexy girl there, but because it has concentration and tension the first part lacks.

The Bad

Unfortunately, there's the other side of the medal. The whole first part of the game is not so convincing (until Patty appears). The women are somehow bitchy (pardon the expression) and not very attractive (it's not because of the pixels! A 16-colored Faith impressed me very much when I played the original Larry 1 back in the late eighties). The Larry part of the game somewhat suffers from lack of originality, there are some really trivial and slightly boring places. The dialogues aren't very well-made (again - until the glorious Patty appears).

The worst part is some of the puzzles. First of all, I don't understand why there was SO much copy protection. Isn't it enough to use it one time? There are some puzzles which made me cry. In order to seduce Patty, you have to type exactly the following combination of.... oops, sorry, no spoilers. Anyway, lots of irrational typing and a horribly annoying maze (whoever first inserted a maze into an adventure game should be ashamed).

The Bottom Line

"Larry 3" rules for one reason: it is about love. This is what makes the game great, despite its gameplay-related shortcomings. The grand finale with Larry and Patti is worth all the troubles you had while playing the game. A majestic conclusion to the series (since the next three games don't really advance the overall plot), and the only Larry game that rises above the level of a mere comedy.