DescriptionLiero is like Worms but with players battling in realtime instead of turn-based.
At the start of the game, each player chooses 5 weapons from a vast weapons array, 40 in total. The weapons range from simple pistols and shotguns to bazookas and the ever deadly cluster bombs (known in the game as the chiquita bomb)
Players can dig through mud, jump and throw ninja ropes to navigate through the area. The players must seek each other out and destroy the opposing player. When a worm is hit, ridiculous amounts of blood spurts around. All weapons have infinite ammo, however they do need to be reloaded after emptying a clip. Reloading takes a few seconds, and during this time the player cannot fire. The more powerful a weapons is, the sooner it needs to be reloaded, sometimes after every single shot.
During the game, players can pick up crates with weapon power-ups. When collected, the weapon power-up replaces whatever weapon is in the active weapon slot.
Part of the Following Groups
|GameHippo.com||Oct 20, 2009||100|
|Hrej!||Mar 27, 2006||8 out of 10||80|
There are currently no topics for this game.
DevelopmentIn 1999 the Liero source files were lost in hard disk crash, so further development stopped. There were several efforts from the community to continue Liero in new projects. One effort, called LOSP (Liero Open Source Project) by Erik Lindroos, went so far as to meticulously reverse engineer the source files from the latest executable.
ModdingLiero gained somewhat of a cult following in the late nineties, early 2000s. There were "third party" tools to create additional levels, hack into the executable to change weapons and game properties and lots of websites with custom levels.
Related Web Sites
- LieroNet (One of the best fan sites. It has lots of levels, graphics mods, sound banks and utils for download! Check it out...)
- NiL - NiL Isn't Liero (Nil. Open source Liero project! (Wow, that will be cool! Imagine new weapons and network support added!))
- Official Liero Site (The official homepage for Liero.)
- Terror Sabbath - Liero Clan (The biggest Liero clan ever. Over 100 members at new year 2000/2001. Free for join it of course!)
- UNOFFICAL Liero site (Here is where I downloaded Liero and links to other sites like the Level editor and the GNU Liero project (Nil) That's my main page for Liero..)
- Wormhole (Level editor for Liero! (hmm,.. it's updated until the last time and has new tools like gfx editor and blood increaser! XD Hmm,.. and as I see there are some other links to Liero fan sites here and that should be the mainpage for Liero fans!)