Written by  :  April kay (3)
Written on  :  Jul 25, 2018
Rating  :  4.57 Stars4.57 Stars4.57 Stars4.57 Stars4.57 Stars
read more reviews by April kay

Summary

A Brilliant and classic Lion sim

The Good

Despite its age, I find Lion to be an excellent Wildlife sim where you walk in the paws of a lion in the Serengeti. I like the graphics, it has a great amount of detail in the trees, carcasses, rivers. I really like how different lions have different strengths (for example, some lion can hunt zebra better), and different interesting tidbits like having an affinity for water, having better stamina or having less strength. If you play as a male lion you could find a pride and fight their male to gain leadership of the pride, or build a pride yourself. The game offers a variety of different prey including gazelle, zebra, wildebeest, warthog, to the even more difficult prey such as giraffes. At the end of the day the main goal besides finding water to drink and hunting prey to eat is breeding so you can have cubs. To mate you have to press U; if your lioness rolls over she can mate and you need to double click the male lion. In 110 days there's a chance you'll have some lovely little cubs! But you have to breed your lions as much as you can because there's also a chance you won't have cubs :( But growing your pride is very fun. Also watch out for Hyenas! And if you have a basic Hex editor such as Frhed you can rename the lions of your pride :)

The Bad

This game is a great lion sim, so it's hard to pinpoint what it's lacking. But as for some things I don't like about Lion, I wish the game gave you the option to name your lion, I also wish the landscape was a bit different in different areas, like greener grasses and different shrubs, because I think Africa's landscape does vary somewhat and it doesn't all look the same. I would've loved the option to customize your lion but unfortunately all male and female lions look identical. But there's really not much I don't like about this game, so don't let me discourage you from playing it.

The Bottom Line

A realistic, captivating lion simulator where you enter the African Savannah and live out your wildest dreams as a lion prowling around catching zebras.