Loom (DOS)

Written by  :  Chris Martin (1098)
Written on  :  Feb 15, 2000
Rating  :  4.75 Stars4.75 Stars4.75 Stars4.75 Stars4.75 Stars

read more reviews by Chris Martin

Summary

A Graphic Adventure and NO Inventory? Surely you jest!

The Good

Everything. Even after playing it I can Easily forgive the fact that it was very easy. But what made LOOM so different from other Graphic Adventure games was the fact that all you interface was was yourself moving around the screen, and 9 musical notes.

That's it. 9 notes. You only started with 2 (I think), an as you progressed through the game, you learn more notes and you can weave more spells with the Magic contained in the notes.

On top of the interface, the 3 difficulty settings were welcome too. For people who wanted an EASY game, as the spell was shown to you for the first time, the notes on your interface would light up - therefore showing how to weave the spell. On the hardest difficulty setting, you had to have a pretty good ear, because all you heard was the notes. No visual clues at all. Great for us musicians who like a challenge :)

The Bad

I know a lot of people said that it was too easy. But I find that after playing the game I never weaved some of the spells in the spellbook! That might be because I played it wrong, but who knows. But my MAJOR complaint was that it was too short. Monkey's Island, Fate of Atlantis, and the others at the time took me a LONG time to complete. LOOM has so much potential to be a really engulfing game... Are you listening LucasArts? :)

The Bottom Line

An easy Graphical Adventure that will captivate you. Even if you are tone-deaf :)