Loom (DOS)

Written by  :  NatsFan (131)
Written on  :  Nov 06, 2006
read more reviews by NatsFan

Summary

The most underrated, and one of the best games of all time.

The Good

By far one of the most fantastic games ever designed. It has perfect written all over it, perfect graphics, perfect gameplay, perfect story, and perfect music. LucasArt's 3rd greatest accomplishment (1st being The Secret of Monkey Island, and 2nd being Sam & Max Hit the Road).

By far the game's highest point is its imaginative story. It's an incredible fantasy story which takes place in either a time far in the future or far in the past, you can't really tell. It tells of a society divided into strict guilds sharing a common trade, such as the Weavers, the Clerics, the Sheppards, the Glassmakers, and the Blacksmiths. Each guild has strict rules and prohibits marriage into another guild. While the other guilds were obsessed with using their secrets for monetary gain, the secrets possessed by the Weavers were used quietly and rarely seen outside of their small, rocky island. They had learned to transcend the barriers of physical cloth, and instead to weave and modify the fabric of reality with light and music instead of flax and dye. To learn more about the story, buy the game, you won't be sorry.

Second to the story is the game's incredible music. All the music in the game is Tchaikovsky (I hope I spelled that right...), and is very pleasing to the ear. This is essential, because half of the game is based on music.

What makes this game truly unique is its interface, which no other adventure game has had. There's no inventory (stay with me now...), and no commands, like the other LucasArts games at the time. Your only interaction with the rest of the world is with your distaff. When you play a certain series of notes on your distaff, it does something. Ex. ECED is the opening draft, and DECE is the closing draft. But be careful, over the course of the game, there will be a lot of drafts, so be sure to write them down as you hear them!

The last thing I have to applaud is the graphics. I played the 16-color EGA version, so my experience may have been different from someone who played the 256-color VGA version. The graphics are by far the best EGA graphics I've ever seen, and you'll soon forget that there are only 16 colors. It's very lush and detailed. I've seen the VGA screenshots, and they're spectacular. But, before you set your heart on the 256 color CD version (which I should add has full speech), there is something you should know. The CD version is even more impossible to find than the floppy version, and I've read that some of the spectacular dialogue was shortened to save disc space. So, some people prefer the floppy version, which I think is perfect anyways.

The Bad

It's hard to write the downsides to a perfect game, but I'll try. My only real complaint (which I didn't consider as much of a problem) is that it was a bit easy and short for more experienced adventure gamers. The new Sam & Max game (which just came out!) is about as easy and short and is a lot cheaper. My other complaint is this--NO SEQUEL?! What was LucasArts smoking?! OK, I'm sane again. Seriously, it needed a sequel, the ending was open, and showed clear intention of a sequel. Actually, there was a trilogy first in mind, but they never got around to making it. Brian Moriarty, the game's designer and creator of story, said it was because they were more interested in other things. Oh well, no changing that now (Unless Telltale Games gets the rights from LucasArts and Moriarty on their team...HINT HINT)

The Bottom Line

Bottom line--next to perfect, find it now. If you're a fan of any LucasArts adventure game, or any unique game, you'll LOVE Loom. If only the 2nd and 3rd games, Forge and The Fold were made...