DescriptionThe Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes: The Case of the Serrated Scalpel is a verb-based point-and-click graphic adventure game.
London, 1888. Sherlock Holmes, the world’s most famous private investigator, and his faithful companion Dr. Watson, are called to the scene of a gruesome crime: a young actress has been murdered in an alley behind her theatre. Not surprisingly, Scotland Yard’s Inspector Lestrade is clueless. Was it the work of the Ripper? Sherlock Holmes is not so sure -- the circumstantial evidence indicates a much more intricate crime. The shrewd detective begins the hunt.
The Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes is a classical crime story with two protagonists. In the role of Sherlock Holmes, you travel through London in the search for clues. Interesting locations are gradually added to a city map. Your most important source of information are dialogues with suspects, witnesses and other people – and with Dr. Watson, who will readily comment on the situation. When talking to persons, you may chose one of several lines that seems most appropriate. Watson notes down all conversations in his journal, where you can access them if needed. True to the novels, Holmes will solve many puzzles through sharp observations and thorough searches of every location (thus discovering clues and deducing connections) as well as clever interrogations.
Readers of the Sherlock Holmes stories will recognize many acquaintances, from Lestrade to Miss Hudson, from Inspector Gregson to Toby the hound. The game's introduction, cutscenes and ending feature digitized speech.
- "福尔摩斯：开膛手杰克" -- Chinese Title (Simplified)
- "תעלומת שרלוק הולמס" -- Hebrew spelling
- "Los archivos secretos de Sherlock Holmes: el caso del escalpelo mellado" -- Spanish Title
Part of the Following Groups
|Captures the spirit nicely.||-Chris (7365)|
|A Strong and Solid Adventure.||null-geodesic (235)|
|Cheer for Sherlock Holmes||x y (2)|
The Press Says
|Aventura y Cía||Aug 14, 2001||100|
|The DOS Spirit||Mar 24, 2008||6 out of 6||100|
|PC Games (Germany)||Oct, 1992||86 out of 100||86|
|Svenska Hemdatornytt||Nov 12, 1992||85 out of 100||85|
|ASM (Aktueller Software Markt)||Sep, 1992||10 out of 12||83|
|PC Player (Germany)||Jul, 1994||81 out of 100||81|
|Joker Verlag präsentiert: Sonderheft||1993||81 out of 100||81|
|Adventure Gamers||Mar 31, 2006||80|
|Adventure Classic Gaming||Jul 23, 1998||4 out of 5||80|
|PC Games (Germany)||Jun, 1994||76 out of 100||76|
There are currently no topics for this game.
SequelThe Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes is the first part of a series of adventure games called “Electronic Arts Interactive Stories”. Holmes’ last line in this adventure is “There is a master criminal who thinks he is already more than a match for me.” Although this could simply be an allusion to Holmes’ arch-enemy, Professor Moriarty, it more likely a suggestion of the sequel. There is one other “Lost File” of the famous English detective, the sequel The Case of the Rose Tattoo, which is quite different in style, using video-captured characters and rendered backgrounds.
Voice actingThe Disk version and CD-Rom version of The Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes are exactly the same. Voice-overs are included in the intro, the cut scene at St Pancras Station and the last scene. The 3DO-version is a full talkie, and instead of the painted portraits video-actors are shown.
- Power Play
- Issue 02/1993 – #3 Best Adventure in 1992
- PC Games (Germany)
- Issue 01/1993– #2 Best Adventure in 1992
Related Web Sites
- The Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes: The Case of the Serrated Scalpel -- The official homepage.
- Game Nostalgia Page -- A site where you can find almost any information about this game: the making of this game, tech specs, full credit with shots of the design team, reviews, game's features, all videos and musics, shots of every location of the game, goodies, saved games, and even a demo of the game.
- Hints for Serrated Scalpel -- These hints won't spoil the game for you, like walkthroughs tend to do, but will help you solve it yourself.
- The Sherlock Holmes Museum -- Official Homepage of the 221B Baker Street Museum.
- The Sherlock Holmes Society -- Home of the London-based society of serious Sherlock Holmes fans.
- The Sherlockian -- Lots of useful online resources about the famous detective.
- Windows XP Setup -- Yes you can play Serrated Scalpel on your Windows XP machine .. with a little tweaking and advice from Inferno.